International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Show Hosts and Co-Hosts

Finding Show Hosts and Co-Hosts

Hello...

I have some shows that I would like to add to my network, but I personally have no interest and very little knowledge of the subject. I just want to produce the shows. The problem is, I do not know anyone in my circle of friends that is really an expert or has a lot of knowledge about the subjects either.

I am curious if others have started shows and had to go and find a host and co-host for the shows. And if so, where and how did you go looking.

There is a facebook group called "I Will Guest For That" where you can find guests for your show but that seems to be for only guest appearances. I have considered taking out an ad in Craig's List to see what turned up but that scares me a bit.
    Last edited by techzentv; 11-05-2013 at 08:08 PM.

IAIB Broadcaster
    Mike,

I troll industry forums of subjects that interest me. That way I can find out who the "experts" are in that particular forum. I'll exchange emails or PMs with them and see if there is any chemistry. If that checks out, I'll suggest we partner for a show, or a gig, or whatever. I have had good results so far.

I really don't think you need to be an expert to be a host for a guest. But you should be prepared to ask the right questions. That goes into doing a little research before hand. More than likely the majority of your viewers won't be experts in that field either. I never let that stop me when interviewing guests for my show. But I am prepared in advance to what questions I'm going to ask and a little background information of who I'm talking too.
    Last edited by Linuxcooldude; 11-06-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxcooldude View Post
    I really don't think you need to be an expert to be a host for a guest. But you should be prepared to ask the right questions. That goes into doing a little research before hand. More than likely the majority of your viewers won't be experts in that field either. I never let that stop me when interviewing guests for my show. But I am prepared in advance to what questions I'm going to ask and a little background information of who I'm talking too.
    In this case at least I will have to disagree. You would not host a political show and not know anything about politics. You have to know what you are discussing and keep up with the news and happenings or you look like a fool.

In my case, these shows would be more like a news style show so the hosts would have to know what they are talking about. There would be guests and even thinking about making it a call in show as well.

Ha! funny you should say that. Last week I interviewed a candidate running for Texas Governor. I'm not the best at politics even though I've had a growing interest in recent years. Pulled up background information about what hes done so far in the political arena. Its not only knowing the subject matter, but you need to be fairly good at impromptu speaking. Also being able to ask and pull out questions from his replies and take the conversation even further. The interview lasted 30 minutes and turned out ok.

It all depends on the type of show you run. While I focus on technology I do cover a wide range of topics outside the show occasionally.

O.k. I see now what your talking about. You are talking about a show geared toward one subject matter, then yes you should know that one subject fairly well. I was not that clear on exactly what your trying to do.
    Last edited by Linuxcooldude; 11-06-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

I agree, if you are a good interviewer and doing an interview show you can do a show about anything. In this case it is all on the hosts for content.

Quote Originally Posted by techzentv View Post
    There is a facebook group called "I Will Guest For That" where you can find guests for your show but that seems to be for only guest appearances.
    There is? I can't find it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Amnon View Post
    There is? I can't find it :-)
    He is the link to the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GuestPodcast/

Mike,

Couldn't you ask for someone in your podcasts? Maybe there's a listener who's qualified and would be happy enough to participate.

Mike I am kinda in the same boat as you. I have about 5 shows that I would like to add to the network but I am not be the main host on them. One being a Paranormal/ Conspiracy theory type show ( Art Bell / Coast to Coast style). I am looking for someone who understands this stuff but isn't insane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast