International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: What about audio in Multicam production?

What about audio in Multicam production?

Probably a trivial question but it puzzles me...

Let's say you're doing a multicam production (e.g. with two cameras L&R and an overhead). One or more talents with their respective microphones. Audio from the microphones is going through an audio mixer. You probably don't want to use the audio from the cameras. How do you sync this when going live?

I am not sure I understand the question. What do you mean how do you sync? The audio is sent into the sound board and the camera's go into a mixer. The combined audio from the mixer is added to the combined video of the switcher (either in the switcher or post switcher) and they go out together?

There is the possibility that you may get a few frames out of sync, most times it will not be noticeable. If it is though, you can delay the audio with something like a Behringer Shark.

Did I get close to what you were asking?

First lesson: be clear...

Yes Mike, that's it. I was afraid audio from the microphones/sound board and the video from the switcher were going to be way out of sync.

Maybe this was a premature question as I'm still have to start podcasting but multicam is going to be part of it (after I've learned the basics). Thanks for you clarification!

More than likely you will not have an issue. Do you know what you are going to use to switch video?

Mike,

The more I watch, read, listen, ... the more difficult it becomes to make a choice. I'm going to visit a few shows in Belgium and hopefully I can than make a choice. For the moment I'm thinking of using a Blackmagic Design Production Studio 4K or 1 M/E Production Studio 4K in combination with Wirecast.

Quote Originally Posted by rudyengels View Post
    Mike,

The more I watch, read, listen, ... the more difficult it becomes to make a choice. I'm going to visit a few shows in Belgium and hopefully I can than make a choice. For the moment I'm thinking of using a Blackmagic Design Production Studio 4K or 1 M/E Production Studio 4K in combination with Wirecast.
    I use a black magic switcher and wirecast together. With the black magic switchers you can put audio directly into them. You will not notice any sync issues by doing that. One note, depending on which switcher you choose, the audio in may be AES. If your mixing board does not have AES out, you will need an adapter to convert to AES. They are not expensive. Something to think about when looking at the different switchers.

The video podcasting/recording software I'm using is XSplit. It can bring in video and audio from a number of sources, including Skype, and I've never had an issue with audio being out of sync with the video. I have two Heil -PR40 mics and an Audio Technica mic going through a Behringer Xenyx 1222USB sound board, which means the audio is already digital when it goes into my computer via the USB bus.