International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: XLR to USB Converter

XLR to USB Converter

I am looking for a good XLR to USB converter for my Heil PR40. What do you guys recommend ?

Well there are a few out there. I personally have never used any of them but can tell you from what I know the X2U has a hiss problem with Skype. This is only the case with windows. Here are some you can take a look at. If you choose to buy one of these please let us know how it sounds

Blue Microphones Icicle XLR to USB Mic Converter/Mic Preamp Price: $39.99

Shure X2U XLR-to-USB Signal Adapter Price: $99.99

Heil Sound USBQ Low Noise Preamp Price: $90.00

So dumb question guys. Can I use this instead of using a mixer?

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Well, sort of. They allow you to connect an XLR microphone into your computer. It's not a good idea it you're going to mix multiple sources. A mixer is best for that.

If you're primarily a guest on other shows or if you do a remote broadcast, the converters are quite handy.

For the record, I've had problems with all three converters that Andrew mentioned. The Blue unit is a little thin sounding. the Shure has hiss. The Heil would only work on a Mac.

Another unit to consider is the CEntrance MicPort Pro. It's more expensive, but it's probably the best of the lot.

As always, though, my best recommendation is the Audio-Technica ATR2100, which is USB and XLR. The sound is good, too.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

I purchased the Shure X2u and it works just fine for my needs. The construction is solid and the feed-through slots on the back are quite handy for the way I have it attached to my boom arm riser.

Though it's hardly a substitute for a mixer it's certainly good enough until I get to that point. Even so, for a mere $39 more the CEntrance is reported by some to be cleaner in terms of noise rejection. However, back when I was in the market I couldn't find one anywhere at any price.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 10-30-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Blue Icicle has worked well for me.

My understanding is that a mixer provides pre-amps for the microphones, increasing the quality of the sound you hear. I'm not certain most XLR to USB solutions provide this benefit, save for the CEntrance MicPort Pro.
    Last edited by exreality; 01-10-2014 at 11:30 AM.