International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shure SM7b Microphone Mini Review

Shure SM7b Microphone Mini Review

I recently got a Shure SM7b as a guest mic in our studio. I personally love the look of the mic and wanted to try it out on the air for this weeks show. Here is a clip of me using it. I still have to "Dial it in" on the DBX 286s. That will take some time to get the sweet spot. Based on using it for a few hours I like it. I wouldnt say its better then the TLM 103 but its a pretty nice microphone.

Shure SM7b video review

Let me know what you think

Thanks for the review as I was considering that same mic for quite some time. Sounds pretty good although it is markedly different from your Neumann TLM 103. It tends to sound more neutral and almost like you acoustically treated your studio. Frankly, if I had to choose I think your voice sounds better on this end with the Neumann, but it's also nice to have options.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 10-21-2013 at 09:06 AM.

The Neumann is a condenser mic which picks up more of the room, the SM7B is dynamic which is why it sounded more like a treated room. Typically condenser mics have a brighter sound, with a little tweaking the SM7B can be brightened so it sounds a little clearer. The SM7B has stronger lower end which can sound muddy. That is probably why on the back of the mic there are 2 adjustments, a low end roll-off and an upper midrange boost.

The other thing I have noticed with this mic is the that the Mic level is lower than most, you almost need to add an additional mic-pre to get some headroom. That may not be the case with radio consoles but on regular audio consoles that are used for mixing bands, etc. It takes 100% gain with this mic.

Hello Mike,
    I was pretty much tracking with you with your comments regarding the particulars on this SM7 although the last sentence of your post may have been scrambled. If I interpret it correctly, this thing' needs 137db to work properly? I knew that it needed a better than average mic pre, but dang!

That is 100 percent. It changed the percent sign to that &#37. On my x32 I have the gain all the way up and even did some additional digital gain in the console just so I have some headroom. Fortunately, the X32's Midas Heads are very quiet so I am not getting any noise at 100 percent.

Ahh Okay I see. That's a nice mixer you got there, so pretty much any mic pre/mixer of 60~66 is going to be maxed out in conjunction with a Fethead, Cloud etc., to keep the output smooth.

Well, that would deftly keep me from wanting to add this mic to my config. I already have a power-hungry RE20 but I don't think it needs quite that much juice.

I have an RE-20 as well, I do not have to do any digital gain with it and it is not at 100 percent but it is still much higher than most dynamic mics. I have been meaning to ask Mike Phillips if he knows why broadcast mics need so much gain vs other dyamics, even the Heil. My Heil mic's have more headroom than either the SM7B and the RE-20.

Interesting stuff for sure. It was my understanding that the PR40 was originally designed for Ham radio operators who are quite creative at running nuclear power plants out of their homes and shacks.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 10-22-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo corrected

The fethead/cloud will boost your gain. So it would help with a dynamic mic for cleaner gain. It uses phantom power, but it does not pass phantom power through. Use a fethead and you won't have to turn your gain on your mixer so high.

Last edited by docizzen; 10-22-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Not bad. Mike Phillips in the past has said he does not like the Shure SM7B. I agreed with him until I heard Andrew with it. I guess it comes down to how its configured.

I have heard some really bad setups
    you best get steppin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast