International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Allen and Heath XB14 2

Allen and Heath XB14 2

Perhaps a bit overkill for what I am doing but this looks to be an ideal PodCasting mixer. Any thoughts. I tend to go overboard when starting a new venture ... So if you tell me I'm nuts I won't be offended...

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Produc...B142&SubCatId=

I don't have a mixer yet but this is the one I been looking at for the last 2-3 months. Seems to have just about everything one would need and it also appears to be the only peasant-grade 'broadcast' mixer on the market.

Still, there's so much new stuff and bargains coming out in November that I'm compelled to hold off. Besides, I'm still paying off my mic, boom-arm and headphones so I can afford to wait, or at least feel less guilty when I do buy.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 10-12-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Hey Dan... Are there some specific things that are coming out in November? Is that the season for new audio gear? Guess XMas is the season for most new stuff I suppose

I am very conflicted at this point... as much as I like the nature of the XB14 I think for the money I am leaning towards the Presonus 16.0.2 digital mixer... Just under a grand and has most of the features that the 16.4.2 has in a smaller form factor...and it appeals to the computer geek in me... Already have good Firewire card so I should be plug and pray...

Hi Al,
    Sorry for the misleading remark as I was simply referring to November as the push-month for the holiday sales with extended interest free financing, etc. The more experienced pros here on the forum are a much better source on recommended equipment specific to the trade. Personally, I tend to take advice combined with my own taste and go from there.

I personally am a fan of Mackie board. the 1402-VLZ4 is a great mixer.

No apology necessary Dan...I thought that may be want you meant... My background is computers and software and with utmost certainty I can say there always seems to be a better widget just around the corner.

It does seem that podcast specific gear is still quite the niche. When you start looking at true broadcast equipment you very rapidly push the boundaries of sanity for the amateur. The XB10 and XB14 that I've been eying are at the extreme low end it appears...

Everyone here continues to be a great help in my search for knowledge and for that I am extremely grateful. There is no substitute for experience but I will accept and an all advice...and like you must weigh that against my own preferences...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    I personally am a fan of Mackie board. the 1402-VLZ4 is a great mixer.
    Thanks Andrew...I have watched a number of your productions and they are very professional. So am supposing that you use this mixer along with a audio interface of some kind?

My interest in the Presonus was a result of seeking a USB Mixer that could multi-track. Alesis used to be in that game but for whatever reason seems to have abandoned it. As I have learned from here and other sites just about every USB mixer outputs the final mix in stereo or 2 tracks. In fact most are still running at the 1.1 spec...which is quite surprising. Like I said to Dan it appears that the market for the ideal, "relatively low-end",podcasting mixer is just too small to attract the manufacturers.

Firewire seems the only way to go since it supports the required bandwidth as USB 2.0 would. Mackie Onyx mixers like the 1640i fit that bill. But my fascination with getting a digital mixer may overwhelm my good sense Oh and then there is Thunderbolt...oh will it never end!!
    Last edited by AlBurr; 10-13-2013 at 05:51 PM.

I do not use this mixer for our production. We used a Mackie 1402-vlz3 for about 3 years before moving over to the Axia Radius Console

Personally I do not recommend USB interfaces on mixers. I have had nothing but bad experiences with them. With that said many people here on the IAIB have never had a problem via USB. I would suggest going with analog input into a decent soundcard

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    I do not use this mixer for our production. We used a Mackie 1402-vlz3 for about 3 years before moving over to the Axia Radius Console
    Wow..now that's a mixer! Maybe if this hobby progresses to a vocation...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast