International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Allen and Heath XB14 2

Quote Originally Posted by AlBurr View Post
    Just received the new mixer. Hope to have time to unbox it this weekend and play with it...I will keep you all posted.
    So how do you like the mixer? Like you, I'm just getting started with this and somewhat of a computer geek as well. I've been looking a various mixers for days now. Hard to decide, however, I think I've settled on the Allen & Heath XB10. I really wanted the Presonus, but a bit overkill for what I need (heck, I think the XB10 is too, but what the heck). I'm also still leaning towards the A&H ZED60 10FX. I like the Mackie VLZ4 line, but it doesn't support USB and I would still need to purchase an audio interface and compressor, etc. The XB10 has a built in compressor and limiter.

I hope I get all the cables and accessories I need to get this thing hooked up once I do make a decision.

Well I have the mixer and unfortunately haven't had a chance to use it. Prior to plugging it I want to be certain that the power is clean as I don't want to risk damage. Long story short the Furman power conditioner I have requires a 20amp circuit which I should be getting installed next week. Maybe by the first of the year I will have my first show under my belt...

Wow! A 20amp Power Conditioner most certainly will handle anything imaginable but I decided to stick with a 15amp unit and just roll with it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your product review of your mixer after you get it up and running.

OK just an update. I have the electrician coming to the house on Thursday to install the new outlet and breaker. In the meantime I have been setting up all of my various supporting elements. E.G. getting comfortable with Wirecast, Mic technique, WordPress, making my studio look cool etc...etc...etc. This hobby sure feeds my OCDisms!! Between screwing around with setting up my social network connections, streaming outlets I am very busy. It's a good thing I don't have any deadlines or commitments or even better expectations I am on vacation through 1/6/14 and plan to have my first episode to kick off the new year. Oh crap there's that pressure I was trying to avoid...OK so my show will kick-off when I am damn well ready
    Last edited by AlBurr; 12-23-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Hello Al,
    Did you ever get that A&H 14-2 configured and running? I decided to finally purchase a mixer but I've been pulling my hair out trying to decide on which one. Okay, maybe that was a bad figure of speech. Anyway, haven't heard anything from you so I'm interested in knowing your status with that rig.

It's up and running but overkill for me. I think as usual my eyes were bigger than my stomach. I could have likely been satisfied with a mixer half the price. However given that I haven't yet officially launched my podcast that's still hard to say. The new Behringer X18 looks interesting but it's that new shiny object so caveat emptor...

Nice Al,
    Yes that X18 looks pretty sexy although I couldn't find a price for it anywhere. Clearly, small and portable and very digital is the wave of the future. I'm glad you mentioned overkill on the 14-2 because frankly, you're not alone in the over-the-top club. Heck, I'm now looking at sub $200 units from Behringer. In the end, nobody but us will know the level of gear we actually use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ortego View Post
    Nice Al,
    Yes that X18 looks pretty sexy although I couldn't find a price for it anywhere. Clearly, small and portable and very digital is the wave of the future. I'm glad you mentioned overkill on the 14-2 because frankly, you're not alone in the over-the-top club. Heck, I'm now looking at sub $200 units from Behringer. In the end, nobody but us will know the level of gear we actually use.
    799$ USD
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ixer_ipad.html

I see the release date of November, so I opted for the Behringer X1204USB as a modest start-up rig for now. Even so, I do love the rack-mounted format and that alone would sway me in, provided its configurable for mix/minus Skype use.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 05-16-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: ADDED CONTENT

Quote Originally Posted by AlBurr View Post
    It's up and running but overkill for me. I think as usual my eyes were bigger than my stomach. I could have likely been satisfied with a mixer half the price. However given that I haven't yet officially launched my podcast that's still hard to say. The new Behringer X18 looks interesting but it's that new shiny object so caveat emptor...
    LOL - same here for me. Kinda what happens to me when I go my favorite BBQ joint, I see all the goodies I like but end up ordering too much. The XB-10 is very nice, but as you stated, "over-kill" for what I need. I too could have gotten by with a unit for about a third of the cost of this one. But oh well, boys and their toys, right?
    Reginald

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast