International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Editing it out vs. Leaving it in the podcast?

Podnutter:

Of course the easiest way is to avoid using them in the first place but because we have guests, it is impossible to eradicate the umms and ahhs completely so we learn to deal with it as part of our usual editing process.

It really depends where the filler turn up in the recording. If they are standalone words, it's easier to snip them out. But if there is overlap with other words, we will make a judgement call whether to leave them in. If we have to edit them out, we fade down the last couple of frames so the cut sounds less abrupt. We use a lot of sound effects in Tomboy Tirade podcast so sometimes if the edit calls for a sound effect, I will use them to hide my cuts.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomboy Tarts View Post
    Podnutter:

Of course the easiest way is to avoid using them in the first place but because we have guests, it is impossible to eradicate the umms and ahhs completely so we learn to deal with it as part of our usual editing process.

It really depends where the filler turn up in the recording. If they are standalone words, it's easier to snip them out. But if there is overlap with other words, we will make a judgement call whether to leave them in. If we have to edit them out, we fade down the last couple of frames so the cut sounds less abrupt. We use a lot of sound effects in Tomboy Tirade podcast so sometimes if the edit calls for a sound effect, I will use them to hide my cuts.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks Tomboy. You are right its very hard to control how the guest is going to sound when you are interviewing them. Many times they get nervous and cant articulate what they are trying to say clearly.

I do a 45 min show and it takes me about an hour and a half to edit out all the dead air and some of the more annoying ums and stuff. I use to edit them all out but that took me like 3 hours and I just don't have time for that. Sometimes it depends on who my guest host happens to be for that week.
    Jaded City Live - The worst Podcast on the Internet!

Junior Member Ron Redwalker Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded Tristin View Post
    I do a 45 min show and it takes me about an hour and a half to edit out all the dead air and some of the more annoying ums and stuff. I use to edit them all out but that took me like 3 hours and I just don't have time for that. Sometimes it depends on who my guest host happens to be for that week.
    It is really time consuming to edit an audio recording. Plus you still need to enhance it to make it sound professional. If anyone of you here needs help in doing this rigorous work, I can be of help. I am an audio editor and I love listening to podcasts 'cos I learn a lot from it. Please visit my page if you need an assistance with your recording: http://lowcostaudioediting.weebly.com/whats-a-min.html Thanks very much.
    Sounds beyond cool.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123