International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Editing it out vs. Leaving it in the podcast?

Editing it out vs. Leaving it in the podcast?

I have been playing around with the idea of leaving in all the ums and dead spots during my show. Even thought they are not often it takes a few hours to listen back and edit everything out.

Should I leave it in or spend the time to edit ? What do you guys do?

Quote Originally Posted by Podnutter View Post
    I have been playing around with the idea of leaving in all the ums and dead spots during my show. Even thought they are not often it takes a few hours to listen back and edit everything out.

Should I leave it in or spend the time to edit ? What do you guys do?
    I personally leave them all in. Although most of what I am working with is people who have broadcasting experience, it makes it feel less produced. Although I do know people who do edit everything and it sounds fine, just not as natural.

I guess it depends on how bad the ums, etc distract when listening. If they are too much of a distraction, then it might be a good idea to clean it up.

I always leave it in. the only way you learn to correct your mistakes is by learning not to do them anymore. a few pauses and ums add character to the show.

To add this this I was listening to a podcast the other day where the best was saying um every other word. there is very little you can do when thats the case. you just need to train your self not to do it.

I agree, leave them in. Even the mistakes and failures are good to leave in. On our Let's Make It show we demonstrate electronic projects and from time to time they just bomb. That is part of the fun, we typically try to find out why live too.

I also listened to a show the other day where the guest used um more than any other word. That was a bit excessive but normally I don't even notice them if I am interested in the content.

To me it makes you seem "normal". If I'm listening and I hear one, I'll take it out, but for the most part I leave it in. Its um, when, um, its um, you know, excessive, that, um, it needs, to be, you know, like, taken out. Which means you need to practice, or prepare a little more. The um is used to fill dead air because you're trying to think of what to say next (because you may not be prepared).
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    I think it depends on whether it's audio or video. If the "you knows" and "ums" are excessive in audio it could be distracting in some cases, and like podcastcoach pointed out, makes the host appear to be ill-prepared. However, once you add the visual component the mind picks up on different cues and it might not even be noticed.
    Im my case, people are distracted by my movement disorder so I don't have to worry about it.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

I never noticed a movement disorder.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by techzentv View Post
    I never noticed a movement disorder.
    Thanks!..That's what I'm going for.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

I struggled with this as well, but ultimately I didn't think it was worth the time to edit everything out. I want my program to be as "live" as it can be without actually being streamed in real time.

However I am actively trying to say um less and trying to learn how to let silence happen if the moment calls for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast