International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Editing it out vs. Leaving it in the podcast?

I usually cut down lengthy pauses or dead air when I have guests on. The "you knows" and "ums" stay for the most part but at times I cut out the ones I can see easily. For video I leave all of that stuff in since I take my time editing the audio. I am usually more concerned with editing out tirades when stuff does not work correctly.
    Follow My Take Radio on Twitter: @MyTakeRadio

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Become a fan on Facebook,Add us on Google+ and follow our boards on Pinterest

Leave them and learn not do say it

IAIB Broadcaster
    I think it depends on your style of recording/workflow. I do leave the majority of the um's and pauses in, but if I had to check a page for some information and it took longer than i expected, I will go in and remove the long pause.

I find that if I dont prepare well I have a lot more than if I actually have read and thought out what I was going to say. If I was doing a live stream and then podcasting after the fact, i wouldn't touch the recording at all.
    Get a PC!

I hate when I hear, "There is this really cool website, it's um... wait a second, it was just here..... um..." that can be avoided with a bit of show prep. I listened to a podcast yesterday that was an HOUR on Feedburner. It was TOPS 10 minutes of content that was stretched to a painful length. The podcaster kept talking about some crackling noise he was hearing (I didn't hear it). He would stop. I was listening at 2X so I can only imagine how long these pauses were. They were so long Paul Harvey would go, "Dang that's a long pause.." Now this podcast (I feel) thinks this is part of their charm. I can understand if its a panel and its live, but we just had someone drop some words that would get us the Explicit tag on a show and we went in and bleeped them out.

I once went to see a tonight show taping. They introduce Jay, he came out, and somehow, something went wrong. Jay went back behind the curtain, and was reintroduced, and he came out and went forward. It was called 'editing.." This is why "Bloopers" exist. They should not be part of your show in most cases.
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

Dave just wondering .. how long has this person been doing a podcast? I know many people struggle when starting out. Best think to do is test shows to learn how to talk.. or you can edit everything out lol

If you are broadcasting live, or want to make it seem like you are live, go ahead and leave it. But if I'm doing a pre-recorded segment that is important I'm editing it to make it sound polished and plush.
    It's all about the intent.

we're getting better about the "um's" but being from the south, I can't help the pauses when I talk. It drives my wife crazy, so I can imagine how podcast listeners would feel if I left them in. I use the Truncate Silence plugin in Audacity to clean it up and it does a great job.

When we first started out, we were very conscious of our "umm", like" and "you know" so we edited them out in post. But that resulted in weird gaps and abrupt cutoffs within the conversations so we eventually leave most of them in, unless it is too distracting or we are talking overeach other.

Apart from training yourself to use fewer fillers, it's always good to be prepared for your podcasts. Often my best performance occurred when I knew my topic well and did my prep beforehand, even for simple things like loading up all the necessary webpages before the start of the recording. The less awkward silence there is, the less likely I would try to stall time by resorting to fillers.
    Last edited by Tomboy Tarts; 04-24-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Tomboy I was about to ask you how did you master the art of cutting out the umms and ahhs. I imagine it took a lot of time until you got the hang of it.

I feel this is analogous to public speaking. Over the years I have attended several public speaking training classes. Inevitably a fair amount of time is spent coaching students on avoiding filler words or phrases. These not only include the umms and ahhs but the overused words which can be particularly annoying. I have had to change radio stations during some interviews as the halting dialog of the speaker was unbearable...even though I truly wanted to hear what they had to say, it was lost in the umms and ahhs...very unfortunate for myself and for them. In many cases these are highly visible public officials who really should get some better training.

Actually the most common over used word, according to most sources, is actually "actually" actually. However there are many others including; "basically, literally, unique and of course the ubiquitous like"... then there are the overused phrases for example; "for example", "for the most part", "to be honest", you know, I mean, like I said...so many and I am as guilty of it as anyone using these.

I try make it a point, when presenting to an audience, to maintain a somewhat disconnected viewpoint as I am speaking. It has allowed me to cut down on overuse of words and phrases but not totally eliminate them. The only way this works effectively is if you are completely well versed on the subject matter being discussed. Otherwise the filler word or phrase inevitably pops ups as you try to figure out what to say. I usually make the attempt to pause whenever I sense a filler word or phrase about to utter from my lips. This has sometimes led to some funny situations where the pause was a little too long

So should they be left in or cut out?... I think it depends on how severe it is and only you and your audience can be the judge of that. I agree that leaving them in can create a more natural or casual feel for your show. However if they interfere with the message then it has gone too far.

Here's an article regarding ums and ahs that I found fascinating:

http://www.speech.sri.com/press/nyt-jan03-2004.html
    Last edited by AlBurr; 05-09-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: grammar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast