International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: How important is alexa ranking?

How important is alexa ranking?

Hi guys,

I am reading a little bit about websites and website rankings and was wondering how important Alexa ranking is? How can I make my Alexa ranking go up?

any input would be greatly appreciated
    you best get steppin

It depends who you ask. Alexa represents the popularity of your site. the lower the number the better. if you have a 500,000 Alexa ranking that means you are the 500,000th most popular website in the world.

The problem with Alexa is that it can be manipulated very easily. I have seen podcast websites out there that get no viewers but some how the Alexa is a 100,000. People can go and buy website hits or Alexa rankings from companies. If google feels you are manipulating your search rank you can be banned and never be seen again (on google).

The best way to increases your Alexa is by going to Alexa.com and registering your website. They will determine your rank based on how many website uniques / pageviews your website gets.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Gaming an Alexa ranking is a BAD idea. If Google figures it out, your domain name is toast. That being said, there are legitimate ways to boost your ranking, and those should be pursued vigorously.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

I have been doing tech reviews since 2003 and let me tell you! I have worked with companies like Logitech, Razer, Giga-Byte, MSI, PNY, I mean you name it, I have worked with them and done reviews for them. In order to get review samples and products 99 percent of the time the first thing they will ask for is your Alexa.com Ranking. It is how they measure your website stats to your ranking number.

Now like Andrew said you can buy or trick that number to be lower then you really are. If you get caught doing so you can kiss your website goodbye because Google will ban it and so will Alexa.com and they will put up a note on your domain name saying it is ban.

I FREAKING HATE people who buy hits. It is just wrong and a slap in the face to the real people who work hard to get a good Alexa.com Ranking.

So yes it is VERY, even MEGA important for a website to have a good Alexa.com ranking if you want to get sponsors, review products etc.

Just do not buy yourself into a bad spot.
    Jase Rossi | Founder, Lead Reviewer and Host of ReBoot! The Anything and Everything Gaming Podcast at www.Nerdmunky.com

Follow me on Twitter :@jaserossi

Who looks at alexa rankings? they are so easily manipulated where its worth nothing.