International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaving Viblaster for Wirecast

leaving Viblaster for Wirecast

I just checked out that vidblaster guy and it seems like Tom is now using Wirecast for encoding. This has to be a huge hit to mike and the rest of the Vidblaster community.

It is only a matter of time until he totally starts using Wirecast.

Tommy, If you listened to Tom's show you would realise that he is EVALUATING Wirecast so that he can do an objective side by side comparison. As a first step he is trialling Wirecast encoder as a replacement for FMLE...not Vidblaster, as Vidblaster is NOT an encoder. He also make the point that for him, he prefers the VB interface to Wirecast.

That is what they all say. Andrew Zarian said that for almost a year when he was defending his use of Vidblaster. He Loveeeed the interface, that was until he actually started using wirecast as his switcher and guess what.. he never looked back. Brian Brushwood is another perfect example of someone who loveeeddd Vidblasters interface and he went to wirecast and never looked back.

I dont understand this thing about Vidblaster not being an encoder. Both Wirecast and Vidblaster are software based video switchers and they both do encoding. It just so happens that Wirecast handles encoding much better then Vidblaster.

I will put my money on Tom dropping Vidblaster within a year. He isn't a dumb guy and will realize the limitations to Vidblaster

Vidblaster does instant replay with slow motion which is great for the sporting events Tom does. Wirecast doesn't have instant replay (at least yet).

Tommy, think of it this way.

Wirecast = Switcher and Encoder/streamer ---all in one package

VidBlaster/vMix = Switcher that talks to FMLE/BigVencoder(FFMPEG)/Hardware encoder/Wirecast which then encodes and streams.

Both VidBlaster and vMix connect at a command level to FMLE, or can output via their Virtual device to FMLE or the other encoders. The only encoding either program does is when saving a video file, in which case they encode to mpeg/mp4/avi/wmv or whatever format the manufacturer has chosen to support.

However in the context of this discussion, the use of the encoder has been in relation to streaming to a CDN, which is what Andrew Zarian had chosen to do for quite a while and which Tom is now evaluating.

Hi Tommy,

as Andrew pointed out I was using Wirecast as my encoder for about 8 month before starting to use it as my switcher. Never looked back since making the jump.

IAIB Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by TommySulivan View Post
    I just checked out that vidblaster guy and it seems like Tom is now using Wirecast for encoding. This has to be a huge hit to mike and the rest of the Vidblaster community.

It is only a matter of time until he totally starts using Wirecast.
    As my grandmother used to say, "The proof is in the pudding." But, you never know. She may have been using Andrew Zarian's puddling recipe and a different definition of "proof."

IAIB Broadcaster
    And Andrew Seabrook is correct. VidBlaster does not have any encoding capability of its own. It relies on completely third party encoders.

i wonder if Tom loves VidBlaster's drop frames as much as he loves the interface. he's a smart guy. he'll switch.

I do really like the interface but it is very hard to run on my amd 940 in hd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast