International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Live Video Broadcasting from the Raspberry Pi

Cool Live Video Broadcasting from the Raspberry Pi

Ever since I acquired a Raspberry Pi in 2012, I've been looking for a way to put it to good use. While studying Linux, I quickly realized an application like AVConv would run perfectly on the Raspberry Pi!

After many "experiments", I put together this (long) tutorial for anyone interested in running a live video broadcast from their Raspberry Pi.

http://techzany.com/2013/09/live-str...-raspberry-pi/

I seem to recall someone here on the IAIB forum who does a podcast about the Raspberry Pi.. but who is it?

Unfortunately, a setup like this may not be ideal for broadcasting your live show, or even reruns. Nevertheless, it makes a nice "Behind the scenes" camera.

What purpose does the Raspberry Pi serve in your studio?

The information provided is for educational purposes only and I cannot be held responsible for any errors or damage.
    Last edited by techzany; 09-18-2013 at 02:43 PM.

I do a show about anything small CPU including the raspberry pi and arduinos. I will take a look at the link. Besides the ones I use for projects, I use one to control the images that are on the screens behind me and I have another one in the "live" light that monitors the streams.

Quote Originally Posted by techzentv View Post
    I do a show about anything small CPU including the raspberry pi and arduinos. I will take a look at the link. Besides the ones I use for projects, I use one to control the images that are on the screens behind me and I have another one in the "live" light that monitors the streams.
    That's awesome, Mike. Thanks for sharing.
    I'll check out your show -- Would love to learn more about Arduino too.

Something like this would be awesome to great a audio streaming box. I think a lot of people would want to run something like this rather than a computer

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    Something like this would be awesome to great a audio streaming box. I think a lot of people would want to run something like this rather than a computer
    Great idea Andrew. I haven't done much with audio yet but I'm sure it would work well. Maybe a device like the UCA202 would work?

Will look into it.

I use an old (semi-broken) laptop with Audacity as a "backup" recorder to my Marantz digital recorder - both feeding off the mixer. I've thought about using my Pi as the backup recorder, but haven't looked into what software might make sense. Any recommendations? And yeah, I'd feed the Pi with a Behringer UCA2xx. Then again, how would I get the audio file off the Pi SDcard into a PC? Hmm.

IAIB Broadcaster
    I have been so tempted to get a Raspberry Pi just for the fun of it. I was hoping they would push a speed bump but I guess not. I was at the book store they other day (yeah they still have them) and saw a Raspberry Pi magazine with projects. Looked pretty cool!
    Get a PC!

IAIB Industry Provider
    I would think the Pi has enough horsepower/memory to run icecast or a shoutcast server. Since the Pi runs a bunch of different *nix based distro's it should be able to run them. You might even be able to have it be the media source as well. You would be limited to the 64GB storage card or I'm sure you can implement samba and use audio files stored on another computer.

I think it's time we get a Pi. There is a company in europe that actually does Pi rental/colocation.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
    I use an old (semi-broken) laptop with Audacity as a "backup" recorder to my Marantz digital recorder - both feeding off the mixer. I've thought about using my Pi as the backup recorder, but haven't looked into what software might make sense. Any recommendations? And yeah, I'd feed the Pi with a Behringer UCA2xx. Then again, how would I get the audio file off the Pi SDcard into a PC? Hmm.
    Oops, I've failed to reply to this forum topic, sorry guys.
    MaxFlight: I don't think you have to remove the SD card and put it in another computer to read the audio files. You can access them via SFTP (secure network protocol) -- more details can be found in the linked tutorial. Unfortunately, I didn't explain how to remotely access the Pi. Let me know if you need some help and I'll consider another blog post.

I have been so tempted to get a Raspberry Pi just for the fun of it. I was hoping they would push a speed bump but I guess not. I was at the book store they other day (yeah they still have them) and saw a Raspberry Pi magazine with projects. Looked pretty cool!
    Eric: I know! There are so many amazing projects out there. I wish I had time to explore more. Let us know what you come up with!

I would think the Pi has enough horsepower/memory to run icecast or a shoutcast server. Since the Pi runs a bunch of different *nix based distro's it should be able to run them. You might even be able to have it be the media source as well. You would be limited to the 64GB storage card or I'm sure you can implement samba and use audio files stored on another computer.
    cloudpail: This is theoretically possible and I can't wait to test it out. It shouldn't be too difficult to grab an audio source (either live input or pre-existing media) from a remote source.. or local on the SD card. Colocation can be found all over the world. (or even host it from your home.. assuming the Pi isn't doing the Icecast distribution.. just sending the stream to a real Icecast server.) If you're looking for hosting: check out the article John recently posted on the IAIB blog!!

http://www.ibroadcastnetwork.org/blo...-radio-station

IAIB Broadcaster
    BTW: My Raspberry Pi should be here by Wednesday!! I gotta head out and get a couple SD cards so I can have swap-able OS's for all the projects I want to try.
    Get a PC!