International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Hardware Streaming Encoders

Hybrid View

Hardware Streaming Encoders

Hi all...

We are looking to move from software (computer)-based streaming encoding to a hardware solution.

The requirement is AES/EBU or S/PDIF audio in (plus analogue for backup) and the ability to connect via the Internet to Shoutcast/Icecast and similar streaming servers.

We need mp3 at 128 kb/s initially, but we would like to be able to stream AAC/AAC+ in due course.
    It would be useful to be able to run two output streams at once, to different servers (eg mp3 and AAC)

I have located two devices so far:
    Telos ProStream (http://telos-systems.com/prostream/) and
    AudioTX Webstream 1U (http://www.audiotxwebstream.com/features.html)

Does anyone have any experience of these devices they can share; and is anyone aware of any additional devices with this functionality? Internet searches on this are tricky because the required keywords pull up all the end-user players too.

Many thanks in advance.

Richard Elen
    RadioRiel.org

Andrew uses a Telos ProStream @ GFQ. Kirk Karnack is on here and he works for telos and can answer your questions about the telos.

Telos Alliance /Audio Expert

Stream Encoder Appliance

Hi, Richard.

I have a Telos ProSTREAM right here at my desk. I love it! (Yes, I'm VP of the Telos Systems division.)

The ProSTREAM has Omnia audio processing built-in (fully adjustable or defeatable). It can generate 2 streams of similar or different algorithms and bit rates. It can send those streams to up to 4 different replication servers. A built-in confidence streamer is included. Front panel and web GUI control.

A sophisticated metadata ingester/parser is built-in, with presets for several automation systems and customization available.

One thing you asked for is AES I/O. Our current motherboard supports Analog (XLR) and Livewire I/O. A new model with AES built-in is in development now. Likely shipping late this year.

Sample my ProSTREAM, 2 different streams, using WinAmp or iTunes at:
    kharnack.dyndns.org:8800 (AAC at 128 kbps)
    kharnack.dyndns.org:8820 (HE-AAC v2 at 56 kbps)

Happy to answer questions or give you a private URL to browse into it for a look.

Best,
    Kirk

We have been using a Telos ProStream for about a year now. Its a great piece of hardware and the Omnia audio processing is amazing. If you would like to check out the audio feed you can go to GFQlive.tv and click on the audio