International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Making your podcast into segments. Does it help?

Lightbulb Making your podcast into segments. Does it help?

I am interested to know if any of you edit your podcast into segments and post them on youtube or on your website. I record a two hour show and was thinking it might be a good way to grab new viewers that might be interested in a specific topic.

thoughts?

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    I have to say that I get much more traffic positing segments. Media has changed, and people's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter. My show is still posted in its entirety through GFQ but I think segments are really the way to go…At least for my audience.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

IAIB Broadcaster
    Agreed, on the car videos I produce if I go too long they do get as many views. I say put the full show up but also put the best segments up. More work but also more potential.

has this hurt your show. I would imagine if someone just wants to hear something they will only listen to the clip and not the entire show

One of my shows is in segments, many of which could stand alone as podcasts in their own right. Episodes generally run 1:45, which I think is too long, but whenever I mention a desire to shorten the show my listeners write and say "no!" One segment is with an industry guest. Sometimes I'll slice out just that segment for the guest to use on their site or among their network, but that's the only time I release episode segments.

I don't think there is one answer here to the original question. It depends on your content and your audience(s). A homogeneous audience might point you in one direction. A segmented audience might point you in another.

IAIB Industry Provider
    Yes especially if you post them on sites like youtube. If you have a segment on making widgets and I google "widget making" I might find your widget segment. Doing so would make me aware of your content and I might even start watching your other content because of it. We became fans of thetechbuzz.net due to Steve's Wirecast videos.

Revision 3 uses a similar technique on a lot of there shows. They have place markers on their player so you can jump to the section you're interested in. Which it's great for SEO because now a show that might have 10 topics in it doesn't show up as just "Some Show Title" it also shows up as "Windows 8" "Roku" etc.
    http://www.cloudpail.com
    Podcast & Internet Broadcast Hosting