International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic problem! Need some help.

Acoustic problem! Need some help.

This is not a home studio but a classroom studio that I need some acoustic help with. I have carpet on 3/4 of the walls and carper on the floor. The back wall which is a green wall is a hard surface and the big observation window we have from our control room is also hard. I have put up over 36 3" foam acoustic tiles on the side walls to help and it has but not enough. The ceiling is suspended but it has been painted black which may have taken away much of the acoustic properties. I do believe much of the resonance is coming from the ceiling. Is there something anyone would recommend to help that could be placed on the ceiling? Burlap? Foam? Does anyone know or can you steer me in the right direction? Thanks.

I am in the processes of acoustically treating my ceiling also. I am opting for the Foam rather then Burlap. Mike Phillips knows about treating a studio better then anyone else else. Im sure he will have something to add to this.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Actually, I'm not an expert at acoustic treatment. I can tell you that it's a tough thing to do.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

I too have been looking at acoustic treatment and I agree with Mike. From my perspective it's not only a technical issue but for me personally, it's also an aesthetic challenge. Corrugated foam glued or Velcro'ed to the walls I would imagine would be sufficient, although I don't want my office to look like a tree house. On the other hand, true acoustic panels fashioned with textile covered fiberboard is quite pricey for the versions that actually look pretty clean. Either way, it seems to be a necessary evil to minimize the echo chamber effect.

I put some blankets around my small office to see if it would make a difference. Really cleaned up the room reverb

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    These work really well and are easy to hang with nails or hooks from the ceiling. http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com...-blankets.aspx
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Well Spencer,
    Those actually look pretty functional and seemingly easy to install so thanks! Now, if I just wasn't so anal over details I'd be ordering then today. Unfortunately, I've taken the attribute of 'perfectionist' to a whole new level since birth, so in my case it's a character defect.

BTW, I enjoy watching your shows and one quick look at my avatar should be proof enough.
    Regards,

See how these guys use them:

Glad you enjoy the show Dan...Looks like you found a solution for your hair loss.

Quite versatile indeed and the're actually a bit thinner than I originally thought. I was wondering how the hangers would actually hold up with what looks a lot like shipping quilts. I think it would have been better had they measured the sound before and after, to more clearly demonstrate their comparative performance.

I was at Home Depot yesterday looking for some low-jack options but couldn't find anything suitable. Anyway, now that I see they come in different colors I'm more interested.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 09-25-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Corrected content

Here you go:

Just so you know, I have n relationship with the company..I just like their product It's a relatively inexpensive, and effective way to deaden a room.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast