International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic problem! Need some help.

Okay Spencer,
    I contacted these folks and spoke with Rick and subsequently ordered some material for a difficult wall section. I'll see how it works and go from there. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.

They remind me of the pads they hang in an elevator when they are using it to move desks, equipment, etc. Lookup elevator pads in google.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ortego View Post
    Okay Spencer,
    I contacted these folks and spoke with Rick and subsequently ordered some material for a difficult wall section. I'll see how it works and go from there. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.
    They work really well for me. They're easy to hang and you can double them up if you need to. They look pretty clean as well.
    Hope they work out for you!
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by techzentv View Post
    They remind me of the pads they hang in an elevator when they are using it to move desks, equipment, etc. Lookup elevator pads in google.
    That's true...
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Hello Mike & Spencer,
    I actually opted for a slightly different version as recommended by ‘Rick’. Based on our discussion and the problematic wall I'm dealing with, this one seems to be a better fit and it also looks a bit less funky’.

More to the story: The issue I have, is a wall with the pocket door inside of it. This totally restricts any thing to be attached to the wall as even the shortest of screws/nails would interfere with the travel of the door.

The solution is to mount knob-style fasteners through the provided grommets at the top of the sheet/tarp (above the door header) and the 4x4’ coverage is a near perfect fit. Fortunately, it's a blind wall so as you look into my office nobody will see it.

On the other side of the coin is the very attractive decorative art panels with 2" or 4" of absorbing material. Rick recommends the 2" version for home settings. Still, to have both form and function you will pay through the nose. Even so I'll likely buy one at some point to see how I like it. They also have more basic versions without the fancy art that are more reasonable.

http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com...bing-foam.aspx

http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com...DSK000112.aspx

http://www.audimuteacousticpanels.com/wall-decor-ideas

It's times like this when I think about the guy that uses a mixer strapped to his ironing board with a Blue microphone and a laptop. Oh well, 'at least I'm saving 15-percent or more on my car insurance.'
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 09-27-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added/corrected content

I have heard that removing some of the suspended ceiling tiles could help for acoustic problems. Is this true?

It depends on what is above it, but normally I think that would be a bad idea. Most ceiling tiles are good at absorbing sound.

But these ceiling tiles have been painted which I know takes away from their sound absorbing qualities.

Yeah, paint would fill in the holes making it reflective. What is above the drop ceiling? If it is a metal roof then it would likely be worse. Plus you might get more noise from the roof or floor above.

Re: post #15 and more to say…
    Just received the Audimute tarp/pad and the quality is quite good. It incorporates three large brass grommet holes spaced evenly along the top, and the edges of the pad and its bordered with a nice heavy hem.

The photo in the webpage doesn’t do it justice and the charcoal marble pattern and materials used, are nice! I'm very happy with this and that's quite a statement considering how picky I am in general.

The only downside is that the wall fasteners (with the knob) don’t properly fit inside the grommet holes so the tarp actually hangs on the threads of the knob vs. the knob shoulder. It's like a large button for a small buttonhole. Yes, it's a minor thing’ but an obvious mismatch so Audimute fell short on an otherwise excellent product. I'll hang it up with better mounting provision from Home Depot or Lowe's.

This week I've also been in contact with Real Traps regarding some of their products, as they seem to take the whole sound treatment issue with a more scientific approach. Still, it's a pricey proposition. Also, the folks at Real Traps go way out of their way to help with the selection once you send them a few photos of your room with an iPhone or whatever. They respond back quickly with detailed instructions and recommendations while also providing a ‘good/better/best’ solution option. Just provide specific dimensions between walls, doors, windows, etc.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 10-03-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast