International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Need some help Tricaster vs. Blackmagic

Need some help Tricaster vs. Blackmagic

Hello guys first post!

We are setting up a internet broadcast studio. We have looked at the tricaster 455 and the blackmagic 2 m/e with 1 m/e board.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? We have been told that the tricaster is not as stable by one internet broadcaster. any thoughts on the best route to go?

Chris

IAIB Pro Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Hello guys first post!

We are setting up a internet broadcast studio. We have looked at the tricaster 455 and the blackmagic 2 m/e with 1 m/e board.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? We have been told that the tricaster is not as stable by one internet broadcaster. any thoughts on the best route to go?

Chris
    Chris,

It is very hard to compare these 2 devices. ATEM is a switcher, where as TriCaster is a complete production switcher. The TriCaster 455 is no longer, having been surpassed by the TriCaster 460. If you want to be able to do everything you need (GFX,DDRs, Recording, Streaming) in one box, that's the TriCaster. Also remember you can mix and match formats however you need into the TriCaster. Also the TriCaster is a 4 M/E switcher with a DVE on every channel in these M/Es, where as the ATEM only has one system wide DVE (so for example you can only scale one video source at once - and if you use a DVE transition that takes up your DVE). If one just wanted a basic switcher, the ATEM would probably be sufficient..

As for the stability of the TriCaster, I can tell you that it's a very stable box. Every part of the software is a fault tolerant module. For example - a bad clip in the DDR will crash the DDR but will never crash the switcher. Should the software ever reach a critical condition (I have not seen this happen on a production system), the system will pass through video through the system.

Let me know if you have anymore questions...

Joe

so, being an ATEM user I think I can help to answer this. First, as joe said, the ATEM is a very basic switcher. The 1a dn 2ME can do some ok graphics from media pool but it is a bit cumbersom. If you are looking for an easy to use all in one device that can play DDR's, do virtual sets, has a really nice green screen then look towards the tricaster.

I have had to come out of the ATEM and go into Wirecast to stream and do videos and graphic overlays. Something else to think about is what equipment you are going to need to stream the output of the ATEM.

I want to be clear, the ATEM is an awesome piece of equipment and a great switcher even with some of the little quirks that it has. I have never had my ATEM crash on me, NEVER. It just works all the time.

If you are looking for a more complete solution in all one box then Tricaster is the way to go. I cannot comment on the reliability of the Tricaster though. I have never heard any complaints.

Mike and Joe both got this covered I would go with the Tricaster 460.

Tricaster all the way. It is a full production box you will get so much more with the tricaster