International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To upgrade to Wirecast 5 will cost ya!

IAIB Broadcaster
    Received a note from Wirecast Sales today that the upgrade fee for WC4 to WC6 will be $199 for Studio. The $149 fee is for WC5 to WC6. Not sure on Pro upgrade pricing. Asking for clarification now.

Hmmm owned V5 less than a year and it will cost me nearly 300 bucks to update to the latest version... That seems a little excessive but hey if they can get it then great....probably not from me anytime soon however...

For that amount of money I may have to switch to vMix...
    Last edited by AlBurr; 09-09-2014 at 10:15 PM.

That's the Pro upgrade price just to be clear.

Many of the new features are must have for some. Playlist including live camera play listing, Replay with slow motion, Direct iPhone camera support..., some people require these features for their shows. Recoverable file is mandatory for a professional. So would Audio Preview monitoring. You may want to look at how deep the Playlist and Replay features are. Third party title integration with NewBlueFX is also important (and an additional purchase). It really depends on what you actually need for your streaming but, from what I hear, these features are "must have" for a lot of people.

Granted if price is the most important thing than vMix is good for the money.

Yes I own Pro now. I can certainly appreciate the value provided in the new version and have looked at all of the eagerly anticipated features. Those feature are something that I would like to have.

I just wish they offered an annual maintenance program that provided support and upgrades. The current plan for 199 just gives you a 25% discount and business hour (8hr) support, which imho is not a great value.

It is common practice with enterprise software to charge anywhere between ~14-25% annually for maintenance that covers updates/upgrades and 24x7 tech support. I have worked in the software business for over 25 years and this seems a little out of line with the common practice. But then again I may be comparing apples to oranges as Wirecast is more pro-sumer oriented whereas my experience is in enterprise software.

Bottom-line is that I would be happy to pay 199 a year to get the aforementioned level of support. I also believe Telestream would find many who agree and they would benefit financially from such a change. Well my opinion anyway
    Last edited by AlBurr; 09-10-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Great comments. I'll go rattle their cages on that.

They ending up getting my money in the end...just took a little longer

Wirecast 6 is just too irresistible.
    Instand Replay and Playlist are probably more powerful than some expect once they get familiar with them.

I was almost ready to pay for the upgrade to the current version. Telestream was kind enough to give me a complimentary free copy many years ago. I stopped doing live shows years ago. Part if the reason was that my Mac Mini was pretty underpowered for the task.

Now I have a new 27" iMac with much better specs. The $199 upgrade price gives me reason to question the possibility. I'd like to one day start a new live show. In the meantime I'd love to learn more about using the newest version of Wirecast. I'm on a limited, fixed income, and $200 is a lot of money for a "curiousity."

Depending on what version you're coming from, there's been a wealth of changes. I'd need to know where you're coming from to list them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12