International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misinformation about Podcasting

Lightbulb Misinformation about Podcasting

I have been doing a lot of reading over the past few months about what you should and shouldn't do in your podcasting.

Here is an example

Dynamic microphone Vs. Condenser Microphone - When I first went to go and buy a microphone everyone told me Condensers sound better.

What is some misinformation that you have seen?

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    If you have an acoustically treated studio, you can use either one. If you don't have an acoustically treated room, get a dynamic mic. It doesn't pick up nearly as much background noise.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Well, this is not as much a mis-information as people very opinionated. There seems to be a battle between some about what is better, an audio or video podcast. Personally I do not think this warrants any kind of argument, do whatever works best for you and your listeners / viewers.
    Last edited by techzentv; 08-23-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Oh, here is another good one... Podcasting is easy and you can get rich doing it. For the most part, that is mis-information.

Quote Originally Posted by techzentv View Post
    Oh, here is another good one... Podcasting is easy and you can get rich doing it. For the most part, that is mis-information.
    Yep, that goes for double for streaming. I broke 1000 TLH mid month, and my total so far this year is: - $400 for bandwidth and JLA licensing (coverage for BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, AND SX)

Theirs some ways to recoup money, but your going to spend more time chasing it than doing a show. Not to mention if your a fan of your own media (you put yourself in your listeners shoes) it becomes even harder to dilute your show with ads. Some are sneaky enough to pull it off.

Money can not be made from affiliate programs. I have been doing amazon and godaddy and made around 300 bucks last month. not bad for someone who has very few listeners
    you best get steppin

TechZenTV/Mike,

"Podcasting is easy and you can get rich doing it. For the most part, that is mis-information."

I would say that 100% is mis-information and a lie told by the same kinds of get rich/work at home scammers (not you) that just want your money for selling you a system. For most things in life, getting rich requires real work and lots of time and effort to do. Also, as I have stated before on other threads, you should start out at being good at something 1st. Then you can worry about trying to make money at it. The money will come as a byproduct but focusing on it 1st is the wrong way to do it.

The people who can be get rich by doing Internet Broadcasting for the most part are the same people you know from the broadcast world who have massive built in audiences who will follow them anywhere. Who have demonstrated that they are worth paying for either directly via subscriptions/donations or to advertisers who can write big checks to reach their audience.

- Brian

Well, as a newbie' I simply wanted a better way to interact with my computer, and to get involved on Skype webcasts as a guest, or possibly as a contributor. I never thought of making any money so perhaps I'm in the minority.

With respect to microphones and based on where I live, I'm forced to purchase everything on-line so there's quite a bit of trial and error involved in the process. I started with a condenser mic and then moved into the infamous PR40. Still, I wanted to test a third option before I could be happy with my decision, so I ordered an RE20 while not expecting it could possibly be better than the PR40.

To my pleasant surprise I found the Electro-Voice worked substantially better for my voice than the Heil. Oh well, I guess someone has to keep the UPS driver gainfully employed.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 09-01-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ortego View Post
    Well, as a newbie' I simply wanted a better way to interact with my computer, and to get involved on Skype webcasts as a guest, or possibly as a contributor. I never thought of making any money so perhaps I'm in the minority.

With respect to microphones and based on where I live, I'm forced to purchase everything on-line so there's quite a bit of trial and error involved in the process. I started with a condenser mic and then moved into the infamous PR40. Still, I wanted to test a third option before I could be happy with my decision, so I ordered an RE20 while not expecting it could possibly be better than the PR40.

To my pleasant surprise I found the Electro-Voice worked substantially better for my voice than the Heil. Oh well, I guess someone has to keep the UPS driver gainfully employed.

Statements above well said.

I actually just tossed my perception 120 mic, due to wanting to do some audio bus magic to connect multiple callers from different programs with cell callers (tetris of wiring) and with that had to lose the phantom power due to the requirement of unbalanced TS jacks. ended up buying the EV N/D767a (saw it on Craigslist for cheap due to a scratched grill from the metal carry case)

Some of the crappiest broadcast studios get a good audience out of loyalty. But I have seen stations on the cheap take off. MMM radio was the best example. Their videos dont get as many views, but the host is a 30's something white rapper out of Canada, so as far as I concerned: Interview with Uriah Blaak = Beat the odds. and he would even hold his house phone over the mic, epic roll for interviews.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmonroe View Post
    TechZenTV/Mike,

"Podcasting is easy and you can get rich doing it. For the most part, that is mis-information."

I would say that 100% is mis-information and a lie told by the same kinds of get rich/work at home scammers (not you) that just want your money for selling you a system. For most things in life, getting rich requires real work and lots of time and effort to do. Also, as I have stated before on other threads, you should start out at being good at something 1st. Then you can worry about trying to make money at it. The money will come as a byproduct but focusing on it 1st is the wrong way to do it.

The people who can be get rich by doing Internet Broadcasting for the most part are the same people you know from the broadcast world who have massive built in audiences who will follow them anywhere. Who have demonstrated that they are worth paying for either directly via subscriptions/donations or to advertisers who can write big checks to reach their audience.

- Brian
    Well said Brian!

I've always maintained that an internet broadcast can be an extremely powerful compliment to an existing brand, and under the right circumstances can become a stand alone revenue generator, but there has to be some credibility attached to it.

There is plenty of money to be made using this medium, but broadcasters have to think outside the box and move past conventional broadcasting revenue models to become a real earner in this field.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast