International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Misinformation about Podcasting

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Kobren View Post
    Well said Brian!

I've always maintained that an internet broadcast can be an extremely powerful compliment to an existing brand, and under the right circumstances can become a stand alone revenue generator, but there has to be some credibility attached to it.

There is plenty of money to be made using this medium, but broadcasters have to think outside the box and move past conventional broadcasting revenue models to become a real earner in this field.
    Now your talking! The trick (that 98%) doesn't get is doing something that isnt re-inventing the wheel. No one wants to hear a rotary playlist. AOL music was doing that 15 years ago, and where did they end up.

Everyone blows Pandora up to be huge, but due to royalty's for all the individual licensing, they still haven't turned a decent dime. Not after all these years of running. Spotify has now reached a royalty agreement, and they are going to be feeling the axe soon.

1% comes of with enough attention to make it happen, the other 1% has a great idea, but like a lot of good businesses, fails to take off.

But "good" money? It all depends on the value of advertizing and attention. Their is a SLEW of undercutting among all the industrys right now. Swyft is a great example of how a smart person can undercut taxi drivers. Ffiver has been getting a lot of attention for stations trying to get $5 for advertizing. Good, but untrained VO artist have been making decent profits there. Not to mention the oddball of advertizing that could be had.

Community share projects have been coming alive, ect. ect. ect. The best bet for small internet stations is to fight battles locally or on a specific level.

When I first started streaming, I had this station taking off. Had a great live show. It was called "dead awaken radio" and was a redux of "Mars Attacks" Wells style. Basically it was music to a storyline of a zombie apocalypse, but all whacked out. Like taking a "Heavy metal" comic, and making something audio with a crazy soundtrack.

Problem was, I wanted to be more "professional". Got the licenses, got the automation, so we were running 24/7. Got the programs running. Got everything going, but then it went from a project with friends, to a project I was spearheading to be like a legit station. Got the audio perfect, and it wasn't fun anymore to the listeners. I had more tune ins on my 24kbps stream then I'd like to admit (it was MP3 too lol)

But yeah, moral of the story, FUN, and interactive above all. 1000 stations get the audio right, but I would give 1000 tune-ins up for 20 repeat listeners that really enjoy the station experience. Those are the kind that will pitch in for donations, that will interact on forums, and they will tell friends.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    I think fun and relatability is key…At least for the type of broadcasting that I do. I've always thought in the simplest terms when it comes to both production and building a revenue model and I never wanted to depend on third party sources for numbers. If you're depending on download numbers to sell adversing then you're doing it all wrong in my book.

Whatever market you're in, you have to make your broadcast compelling enough for sponsors just to to want to be part of the "party" without showing them a single number. If you can create real value simply by being connected to you, then you will have a sponsor for the life of your broadcast.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Quote Originally Posted by Podnutter View Post
    I have been doing a lot of reading over the past few months about what you should and shouldn't do in your podcasting.

Here is an example

Dynamic microphone Vs. Condenser Microphone - When I first went to go and buy a microphone everyone told me Condensers sound better.

What is some misinformation that you have seen?
    I think this kind of stuff happens when people follow a "convention" without explanation.
    As others mentioned, people are opinionated. The problem is people don't express how they've arrived at their opinion.
    Condensors are common in radio and are often used in acoustically treated spaces.
    Many of us who podcast and/or live stream aren't in a position to do that. A dynamic mic, specifically cardioid would be preferable because they can reject sound from an environment that may have issues.
    Unfortunately (and in my opinion) a lot of people use condensers since they see "the pros" doing that in studio. There are people who recommend condensers without any explanation why. The why may or may not be relevant but the reader has no way to discern that, if it's not offered. Maybe it's better to describe that as incomplete information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12