International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do people react when you tell them you do a podcast?

How do people react when you tell them you do a podcast?

I was talking to my friend the other day and I told him I was starting a podcast. He really didn't understand what it was so I had to tell him it was online radio. It was interesting to hear and see his reaction. It was almost like he didn't understand how someone can do it. He asked me if I had to deal with the FCC. I couldn't stop laughing.

have you guys had any weird conversations with people regarding podcasting?
    you best get steppin

Oscar,

I do think it does really depend on how tech savvy the people you are talking to. Some of the hard core listeners have been listening to downloaded and then live streamed Internet Broadcasts for years. But there are still many in the older generation that are just more comfortable with getting their entertainment and information from the TV or radio. For them, they like the content they have there and what controls the FCC has over that kind of programming. Also it is just easier for them to get to. They may think that it is hard to access Internet Broadcasts as either a live show or a download or they may not even know it is possible.

We do need to keep in mind that many of us tech people know a lot more than the general public about how all of this works. So things that seem simple to us are not as easy for others. Plus most people are creatures of habit so if they where growing up with just the radio and newspapers, that is where they may go 1st and then to the TV 2nd. The younger generation that has grown up with iPods, iPads and smartphones is a lot more used to downloads and streaming.

I do think that the change is happening where there is more awareness of Internet Broadcasting as traditional broadcasters embrace the new technology. Not only by having exclusive content online but by using social networks like FaceBook and Twitter to promote it. So I would say to give it time. Many will find out about it and not be as confused or ask questions that may sound silly to us but are actually valid concerns. To the average person, Internet Broadcasting, TV and Radio can look and sound like the same thing so the reasons why the FCC is involved with one and not the other are good questions.

What I would do in that situation is use it as an opportunity to teach them about what good and bad things that the FCC does so that they can be on our side of not regulating Internet Broadcasting. The more they know and can understand about what we do and why we do it the better.

- Brian

So far I've always had a good response. People say "that's really cool" or "that sounds fun." And it's always followed with the question, "What do you guys talk about?" And sometimes I get a "I should do a podcast." A woman we were chatting with in front of a movie theater recently even said she was thinking of starting her own podcast after we told her we did one.

I always try and give folks a card when I do mention the show even if they don't know what podcasting is.
    Chase Shumway
    ChaseShumway.com
    Circle Me On Google+ (while it still exists)

"What do you talk about" I get that all the time. Its kinda hard to explain sometimes lol

Andrew how do you explain to people what you do?
    you best get steppin

'How do people react when you tell them you do a podcast?' (or planning to)

So, what the hell is that?
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 09-07-2013 at 10:22 AM.

I have gotten " what is a pottcast"... Wouldnt we all like to know...

When I had both of my business internet lines installed into my Studio, the installer asked me what all of this stuff was for? I told him I was a Internet Broadcaster. He goes so you're unemployed? :/
    Jase Rossi | Founder, Lead Reviewer and Host of ReBoot! The Anything and Everything Gaming Podcast at www.Nerdmunky.com

Follow me on Twitter :@jaserossi

what a jerk!

Hi Jase,
    Now that's funny! Well, at least you didn't tell him you were a freelance drummer.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 09-07-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast