International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, who's living off podcasting?

So, who's living off podcasting?

obvious person aside, who here is making a living wage equivalent from podcasting? I'm not talking about a brand new car and house all from podcasting, I'm alluding to just keeping the lights on, cable bill paid and food coming in. Before you ask, I myself already have another income, I make zero from podcasting and don't mind that at all because it's a fun hobby.

"Podcasting" has been my full time job since 2010. 2011 we starting making money. 2012 I starting making a good living. I never went into it thinking this will be a full time thing but it turned out that way

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    You can count the number of people in the US who are making a living by podcasting on one hand. Podcasting is a great adjunct to a business, but as far as living from it, few people are willing to make the sacrifice it takes to transition the "valley of death" (no money) to get to the profitable side. Anyone who does it for a living is doing it as a FULL time job. This "four hour work week" nonsense that at least one slimy podcasting "consultant" advocates is pure folly.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

If i made a 100 dollars a week I would be happy. I would love to know if there are more people here on the IAIB making a living from Podcasting.
    you best get steppin

IAIB Broadcaster
    Not a full time job (yet) but I keep more than I spend.

Thanks all, informative as usual.

Question for all of you. what is an average income a podcast can make.
    you best get steppin

bushido,

I think you have it backwards. Instead of looking to make money off of Internet Broadcasting, look at doing it as a hobby 1st. See how you like it and how successful you can be without the money. Then you can start to look for ways of making money with your new skills. You never know, you may meet some interesting people who can lead to other job offers outside the world of Internet Broadcasting. The same advice I would look to give someone who is looking to get in to any other creative art such as Acting, Directing, Painting or Music. The ones that do it well and are able to make a living from it long term are few. Some just have a natural talent and others are just lucky to be in the right place at the right time or they have great looks and/or a great voice so they are able to get by on that as a start.

-Brian

If I make a couple of bucks its a stretch. Do I spend more then I make on my show? Absolutely! I enjoy doing live shows and connecting with listeners. While I wish we made enough to cover the basic expenses the fact is I like doing it. I will say that managing the show and the site plus staff can be extremely stressful but seeing consume and say they enjoy my ramblings is a nice trade off.
    Follow My Take Radio on Twitter: @MyTakeRadio

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Become a fan on Facebook,Add us on Google+ and follow our boards on Pinterest

MyTakeRadio,

Exactly! You do it for the fun of it. If you can get money, great! But you have found a good balance to make it work for you. As for the stress, that is something that goes along with many jobs I have seen. The key is to manage it and understand that you do not need to be perfect or do it all on your own. Sometimes it can also mean scaling back what you do. In the end, Just have fun and enjoy this unique time in history where your voice can be heard without censorship or controls about what you can say or for how long you can say it.

- Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast