International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Niche or Broad - What should your Podcast be?

Exclamation Niche or Broad - What should your Podcast be?

I have been doing some thinking about this topic. I dont know whats better. A smaller/ niche podcast (Crafts,Local) that targets a small yet dedicated group, or a much larger broad show (Comedy, News, Entertainment)

What are some Pros and Cons you guys have faced with your podcast (on either side). I would imagine the niche shows would do better because you know who your target audience is

Quote Originally Posted by Podnutter View Post
    I have been doing some thinking about this topic. I dont know whats better. A smaller/ niche podcast (Crafts,Local) that targets a small yet dedicated group, or a much larger broad show (Comedy, News, Entertainment)

What are some Pros and Cons you guys have faced with your podcast (on either side). I would imagine the niche shows would do better because you know who your target audience is
    I'm sure I won't be the only one to say this, but it's all about content. It doesn't matter whether you have a small niche podcast or a larger general topic podcast, if your content is crap you're not going to get anywhere. Stick to what you know a lot about, and are comfortable talking about. You want to create a podcast that you will be able to produce time and time again with useful, and knowledgeable content. If you have to struggle to produce a podcast, it likely will not bode well for either you or growing an audience. If the content is good you have a much higher chance of building an audience.
    Watch Tech News Weekly every Friday at 3pm EST on the GFQ Network.

I agree with what Sunkast has said.

However, my vote would be for a niche so that you could be a big fish in a small pond. Also, you probably would find more dedicated audience members as there is a good chance that the subject material is not getting covered well. Also, finding advertisers could be easier as more than likely you will be dealing with smaller businesses versus big businesses who really are not sure yet that placing ads Internet Broadcasting works. Of course, make sure that you keep your show professional if you are going to take advertisers so that they will stick around for the the long haul versus get upset because they did not know what kind of show you where doing.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    I agree with sunkast on this one. If you know your stuff cold, no matter what the subject matter, and you can produce a good product, you're going to attract a like minded audience even if there are 50 podcasts covering the same topic.

On the other hand, since I'm actually a niche "broadcaster," I certainly get Brian's point as well.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Nitche shows have a place to be. How many more Comedy , Tech , TV recap podcasts do we need

Can someone give me an example of a Nitche podcast working? Who here is doing a "narrowcast"
    you best get steppin

Tommy,

I agree that we have a saturated market for tech Internet Broadcasts as there are only so many free hours in the day to watch/listen to them. Most of us have either work or school or other things that keep us busy and away from being able to tune in.

Oscar,

As for an example of a niche podcast working, that is a hard one to say. You have to define what "working" means for you. Some of the Internet Broadcasts I listen to and watch only have "10's of 10" people who are tuning in live to the show. But the hosts do not worry about that. They love what they are doing and are providing some great info that is not just tech news. More about tech tips that are going to be useful for a while in to the future. So in many ways they are doing "narrowcasting" but it that works for them.

- Brian

Is it better to do a very nitche topic or cover general topics. I would like to hear from people who have been doing this. I am a big fan of TWiRT with Kirk Harnack and gang. I wonder how well they do. As I stated before what works>? what doesnt?