International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap ways to soundproof a room?

Cheap ways to soundproof a room?

Hey there, I was wondering what are some cheap alternative ways to soundproof a room for broadcast?

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Moving blankets (2 or 3 deep) on the walls are a good start, particularly if you already have the blankets.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

My wife and I installed bed sheets on the walls by hanging PVC pipe around the top of the walls. At first we were testing with curtains, but found that bed sheets are actually cheaper and work just as well. Here are a few shots of the studio with the red sheets hanging on the walls.

http://www.anairo.tv/studio-tour
    Donovan Adkisson
    Adkisson Digital
    http://www.adkissondigital.com
    http://about.me/gdadkisson | Twitter: @gdadkisson
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you read my books?
    Podcasting: Year One http://www.donovanadkisson.com/pyo
    Fifty and Furious http://www.donovanadkisson.com/fifty

what is better for sound proofing Sound dampening foam or blankets?

I hung blankets around my room. Seems to have fixed a lot of my issue
    you best get steppin

Hanging thin wool curtains from the ceiling is cheap and effective. I use a combination of this and squares from bed padding to damp, without coming off too dry. Also, if you got the time, Egg holders from your local farmers market work well, and they usually throw these crates away. Get a large amount of those, and lay them side by side, to completely pad the room. Voice comes out dry. DON'T PAINT THEM, ruins the purpose of why you have them, you want them to absorb noise.

If your local farmers market doesn't have them, try a local restaurant that does breakfast.

Your looking for the big ones like these: http://www.makingthishome.com/2010/0...athers-please/ first two pictures.

Couldn't find a stand alone picture.
    Last edited by Brutish Sailor; 08-18-2013 at 12:25 AM.

I recently bought some heavy curtains and they claim to cut out notice by 40%. I dont know if its 40% but they are cutting down on room noise. My wife picked them up from target.

Just for once I wish I could come up with a hobby that didn't end up costing me an arm and a leg. Anyway, since I'm retired and live alone and I have no sounding board that I have to answer to, I’ll just save up and buy a few acoustic panels. Clearly, some are better than others so I plan to give ‘RealTraps’ a try. No, not the high-end option but rather, their Guilford MiniTraps 'spouse friendly' version. Yes, that's how they describe them.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 09-03-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ortego View Post
    Just for once I wish I could come up with a hobby that didn't end up costing me an arm and a leg. Anyway, since I'm retired and live alone and I have no sounding board that I have to answer to, I’ll just save up and buy a few acoustic panels. Clearly, some are better than others so I plan to give ‘RealTraps’ a try. No, not the high-end option but rather, their Guilford MiniTraps 'spouse friendly' version. Yes, that's how they describe them.

What is your end goal? To do a station....or podcast....or.....

I have a lot of ways to cut on budget. I used to run a pretty sweet group called "Tin can broadcasters"

I see streaming and all other forms of casting like an auto hobby (actually writing and journaling a lot about it) Its either cash at the shop, or a lot of studying and time under the hood. One way or the other, you take either one of those routes, you cant go wrong, when you do a little research. But your going to get out of it what you put into it.

Really, while the idea of "untreated foam" gets a lot of jeers, it might work for you to improve what your trying to do. Your mic might allow you to forgo some stuff. Back to that auto reference, dont be the guy with the crappy street racer that has the nice seats, and fancy dash, and 20 race stickers in the window.

Practical for your purpose. In our "community reference" dont be the guy that buys a massive pipeline and bandwidth expecting a million listeners on your first media release. You save where you can, and if you need help, that's what community is for. Were here for ya.

I have tried the blankets and it works really well. It doesnt look good but it works

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast