International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to prevent Podfading. How do Podcasters keep going?

How to prevent Podfading. How do Podcasters keep going?

I have been doing podcasting on and off for a few years now I at times get burnt out. I have also noticed many Podcasters and Internet Broadcasters Podfade. How do you prevent this from happening? Is it possible for someone to return and still keep their audience once they podfade and come back?

I get burnt out often and at times have contemplated throwing in the towel but I remind myself that is something I enjoy doing and people count on me to be entertained. I usually take a week off to recharge every couple of months. I burnt hard when I started in 2006 and it took a lot to get me motivated.
    Follow My Take Radio on Twitter: @MyTakeRadio

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Become a fan on Facebook,Add us on Google+ and follow our boards on Pinterest

James,

Here is my take on the whole podfading thing. The 1st question that does come up is how often are you doing shows? I have found that if you are doing shows more than once a week as a hobby, it is easy to either run out of material or get burnt out quickly. In that case I would take planned breaks but make sure you let your audience know ahead of time so that they will stick around for you to come back. Also, depending on the kind of show you are doing, you could do a best of show while you are gone so that you have something for the listener/viewer to check out as most of your audience probably has not been listening/watching your content from the beginning. So even though it is not new it still is new to them. Another idea would be to do some small 5 min or less clips while you are away to keep some fresh content around until you get back. Of course that all depends on how long you are going to be away and what connectivity you have on your break/vacation.

However, if you are doing a show where you have advertisers or are making money doing it or are doing it once a week, that will dictate how often you can take breaks along with how long you really can take off before you have to come back. As I have only done shows as a hobby I can not say how that dynamic works. I am sure that others on the IAIB could chime in here to give you a better insight as to how they handled this situation.

I do think that most listeners/viewers understand the needs to take breaks throughout the year as with a normal job you get the major holidays off and do take a vacation during the spring and/or summer time. So most will stick with you even if you are off for a bit.

The thing is that ultimately, no mater what show you are doing, it will run it's course. Just like on TV. Most shows do not go on forever. They have a set number of seasons until all that can be done with the premise of the show has been done. It is sad when a show that we enjoy goes away but it is better that it does go away than having the quality of the show slip.

One last point, when a show does go away, that does not mean that you have to stop broadcasting. You should look at it as an opportunity to try something new as you can do many different kinds of shows using the same Internet Broadcasting hardware, software and services. Also, I am sure that you will have fans that will be loyal to you no mater what content you put on as they like your personality and style.

Brian

Brian really well said!

I get very discouraged when I am doing a podcast for a few weeks or months and no one is listening. Can be hard to push though that

Thanks Andrew. i have been thinking about this topic for a while. I am just glad to share my thoughts with others.

Tommy,

If you have been doing an Internet Broadcast for a few weeks or months and really no one is listening then you may need to change it up some. You could be passionate about a subject that just is not that popular. Now if you are doing this just as a hobby, keep on doing it if you enjoy doing it. But if it begins to become a chore or like a job then you may need to re-evaluate if the subject you are talking about either there are to many others talking about and therefore dividing up the market to much or just to "Inside Baseball" as the saying goes.

If you are in a saturated market and it is a hobby, you could try and see if you could find another Internet Broadcaster who you could team up with and either be a guest or a co-host on their show. You never know, it could lead to finding some more online friends as you both would have something in common. Of course, if you are used to doing long monologs on your own, you will have to re-learn how to take breaks when you are talking so that the others can get a word in. I know that this can be really hard for those of us who love to talk but it is a good skill to have that will be good offline too.

Keep in mind that we are in a unique time in history where there is so much content to watch, listen to, read or do that there just is not enough time in the day for everything. There are 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute so there is no way we could watch all of it in a lifetime. Just find your niche and you will be fine. Most people will not have large audiences but I do not see that being the goal of many Internet Broadcasters. Just have your niche and develop a good but loyal following and it will all work out fine.

Brian
    Last edited by brianmonroe; 07-28-2013 at 08:19 PM.

I think the community can be a great way to prevent podfading. I have stopped and started a few times but since discovering sites like the IAIB , Facebook groups and Google community I feel it gives you the extra thing that you need to keep going

IAIB Pro Broadcaster thetechbuzz's Avatar
    I think to prevent podfading you need to ignore people. People who have done nothing. What I mean by that, is the nasty comments you get on youtube from the "trolls" that like to leave nasty comments because they have nothing better to do with their lives. Accept feedback from people and other broadcasters/podcasters that you can measure up to yours. Are they successful? Are they consistent? Are the of quality? This is the internet, I find so many people who claim they are some big "thing" on the internet. But if you dig, you find out they aren't. So why be concerned with what they think?

They are miserable and want you to be miserable. I've learned keep the blinders on, enjoy what you do, take advice with a grain of salt. Because ultimately, you have to be happy with your decision and live with it, not them. You control your destiny. People are always good at telling you how to do something, but when presented with the opportunity to put their money where their mouth is, well then you see why you don't listen to them.
    Stephen Heywood
    Host/Owner of
    The Tech Buzz www.thetechbuzz.net
    and
    TTB Network www.ttbn.tv

I think it really comes down to passion and creativity. What is driving you to do your podcast or network? Is the ultimate goal to make money fast? If so this will cause a quick burnout. You need a mission statement and stay within those lines of your mission and goal.

I think with some podcast I have seen they don't put a lot of thought into what they are doing. They run out of creativity and vision for their podcast. They get tired of the slow overall growth. Don't put all your ammo in your gun and shoot! Save some bullets for growth and creative content.

It takes more from you than just being a podcaster. You have to get your hands dirty and doing a little grass root marketing. Stay engaged with your audience in social media. What I mean is just don't post when your show is happening. Post about other things as well. Things that make you and your podcast tick. Interact with your audience thru social media. Comment on what their posting. Care about your true audience and they will care about you. This will give you that extra energy to keep going.

If you feel your show can not grow anymore let your audience know you are taking a few weeks off from the podcast. Still interact with them on social media. But take that time revamp or start something new with your podcast. Podcasts have to keep getting better with time with overall with content and broadcast quality. Shoot high for these goals and with time you will get there. But shoot and aim well.

I don't think anyone has this down to a science just yet. Its the Wild Wild West. Hollywood is diving in fast with podcast as well . They are trying to find a model that works for them. So don't follow the trends be Creative and be youself!

If you think you are the Junk then my friend you will get shot in this Wild Wild West.

With Advertising be creative in doing something outside the box. Don't mimic other shows with your advertising. Be passionate about what you are trying to sell. If not don't take the money from the advertisers. Your client and fans will see that you are not into what you are trying sell. Find your audience and your Advertisers that fit your over all podcast. Its going to take time. Don't make it chore for yourself. Make it part of your life your passion. Make it fun and creative and see the results.

Always stay humble and don't drink your own Kool Aid. If you take yourself way too serious You will have what I call the Jack Ass effect. You will be way to cocky and it will show with your fans and peers.

No one wants to be that Jack Ass. But in many years working in music industry I know this to be true. You have to stay humble and build relationships. Relationships will last a life time if you show love and really care for people.Sometimes you will get burned by a Jack Ass but don't let that stop you from building great relationship with your peers.

If your miserable it will show. No one wants to work with a Jack Ass. I dealt with many artists, PD's radio host,TV networks, hosts on TV shows, PR, etc. I know this for a fact. If your miserable just stop and quit. You are not doing anyone any good including yourself.

Don't be a Jack Ass broadcaster! Stay humble. Keep creativity and passion going! Love people and love what you do!

Jeff Adams
    "Creative Internet Broadcast Sermonizer"

2161 County Road 540A #138
    E Lakeland Fl 33813
    (818) 253-9697

http://www.thejeffadamsshow.tv
    https://twitter.com/theJeffAdams
    https://www.facebook.com/TheJeffAdamsShow

Great message Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast