International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just another guy who needs help

Just another guy who needs help

Yes, I'm new and I want to get into podcasting. Currently, I ordered an Apogee MiC but quickly realized I want something more. I've considered the Shure PG42-USB because I want a side addressing mic so I can view my computer screen. I'm also up for a good quality XRL side addressing but haven't really seen anything mentioned on hear by you pro-types. Maybe I'm off-base with that idea so blast away.

I use a Mac and may well be buying the new MacPro later in the year. BTW: My budget to get started is about $1500~$2k (mic/mixer, etc) so a more expensive mic is Okay, to a point. Thanks for any advice you may provide.
    Dan

Hey Dan !

Welcome to the site. there are a few things you can do. If you are looking to stick with a USB microphone I would go with the Audio Technica 2005-USB. It has both USB and XLR inputs on it (You can grow with this microphone and will only set you back 44 bucks)

Other Mics to consider.

Heil PR40
    Shure SM7
    RE20 / RE27

I also would like some information for being a noob. I have heard people say only buy dynamic . Does it make a difference if you are using a gate? wont the room noise be cut out?

Thanks for the tip Andrew. Well, after reading your response and watching a slew of YT vids’ I decided and ordered the RE20. Now I need some advice on a good preamp. Any thoughts on the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - USB 2.0 Audio Interface? It offers a 100db gain (I think) and if I understand correctly, the RE20 needs plenty. Again, any advice is really appreciated.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 07-07-2013 at 02:12 PM.

the DBX 286s is the most bang for your buck. Is a great preamp and has great gating

Thanks again Andrew I'm on it.

Hello Andrew,
    Well, I still need a bit more advice. I now have the dbx 286s and the RE20 with shock mount is on the way from B&H. What USB interface would you recommend with a Mac?
    Regards,

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Dan, you should get a mixer that has a USB connection to the computer. The size depends on your requirements. Take a look at the Behringer X1204USB and the X2442USB. The Behringer numbers are very confusing. The Xenyx 1204 is not the same as the X1204USB. Tell us what you want, and we'll make sure you buy the right thing.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Hello Mike and to the rest of you.

Seemingly, it would appear that I just shriveled up and blew away, but that’s not the case - just ask my local UPS driver! Anyway, I've been researching the mixers mentioned above while swing-testing microphones, armatures, and headphones. For whatever reason I started from the mouth as I work towards my MacPro.

After three mic’s, two armatures, and two headphones, I finally settled on an RE20, an O.C. White extended reach arm with a 15-inch riser and for now, Sony headphones. No, I’m not crazy about them but at least they fit. Next, I ended up with the dbx 286s although it’s just sitting on my desk collecting dust.

Currently, I’m simply using the Shure X2u USB interface until I figure out which mixer and recorder is right for my application. My goal is fairly close to that of CJ’s thread (New home studio…) as I plan to do Skype, YouTube, and podcasting with maybe one other person.

So, after reading your review on mixers I remain confused as to the better solution but for simplicity sake, it seems the X1204USB is the ‘easier’ config.

I also received suggestions to look at the Focusrite Forte’ and the Apogee Quartet, in particular. With it's 75db pre, 30db HP, balanced support for monitors, and direct connect to the Mac, what's not to like? Still, I don't see anyone using it in their 'home' broadcast studio's here on the forums so I'm likely too green to know of it's drawbacks. Any thoughts?

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/quartet.php
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 07-27-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added content

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Don't get hung up on the Mac compatibility thing. Any USB mixer is probably going to be Mac compatible. Since the mixer will interface directly with the computer, you will be able to use the computer's internal sound card for the mix-minus feed for Skype.

The Quartet lists for $1400. You can get a Presonus 16.0.2 mixer for that. Apogee and Focusrite products are great for recording studios, but in my opinion, they are WAY overkill for podcasting or Internet broadcasting.

The Shure X2U is a neat little device, but it's noisy. The same is true with the Blue Icicle and the Heil USBQ. The only XLR-to-USB converter that seems to do the job well is the Centrance Micport. However, you can get a decent USB mixer for $200 to $400, so the converters only seem to make sense for remote broadcasting. (Plus, you can get an AT2005USB microphone for $50.)

Where are you receiving the recommendations? The last person who talked about Apogee and Focusrite was spending too much time at Guitar Center or Sweetwater. I don't remember at the moment. Both make great equipment, but they're not optimum for the application, in my opinion.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast