International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Server Rack/Cabinet Recomendations

Server Rack/Cabinet Recomendations

What are your thoughts on using a Server Rack/Cabinet/Enclosure in your studio? I'm looking to pick up a few DBX 266 Compressors and I want to mount them in some kind of rack enclosure. Unfortunately, the prices are ridiculously high for something that seems so simple! I've been doing some looking, and for a half way decent beginner rack, I found this one for $100.

Any recommendations?

yes, they are expensive. I built mine out of wood, and just bought the rails to go on front. Works great.

Here is a link to some inexpensive rails if you are handy enough to make your own box:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ack-rails-pair
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ntic-rack-rail

12 space rails are in the mid to upper $20s

I actually have a Odyssey CRS12. I recently switched to something with a little more room. This is what I use Gator Cases Studio Rack Cabinet. It has more room and isn't at an angle.

I agree with Amnon, It's alot cheaper to buy the rails and wood then buy a pre-built.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    I actually have a Odyssey CRS12. I recently switched to something with a little more room. This is what I use Gator Cases Studio Rack Cabinet. It has more room and isn't at an angle.
    Say Andrew, does your CRS12 have mounting provisions to add wheels? I'm debating between the eight rack unit and the 12. Frankly, the CRS08 is likely more than I'll ever need although I do like to have the option for ventilation panels between certain components.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 08-30-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Hey All,

I found this in my research for something to house my planned gear...If you don't want to spend a lot and get something that looks pretty darn good....

http://www.instructables.com/id/8U-R...LLSTEPShttp://

Thanks Al,
    Despite all of the tools I have for essentially anything mechanical, I somehow never have taken to wood and measuring tapes. Since my original post I have found a guy who specializes in making custom racks at what I believe is reasonable.

Sidebar: Do you know where I can find those cup-style protective washers in Step 6 of the DIY photo? I know it shouldn't be a big deal although I'm just picky that way, and would like my gear to retain its 'like new' appearance as long as possible.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 10-05-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Hi Dan... these tables from Ikea are so cheap at ~15 bucks that you could afford to screw up a few and thus improve you woodworking skills In my case my niece works for Ikea so I get them at a further discount...

With regard to the washers I found these... http://www.starcase.com/prod-RFSW10_...ers-1159.aspx? and they appear to be just what the doctor ordered...
    Last edited by AlBurr; 10-05-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo

Well, I didn't want to add to the explanation but I also have a physical impairment that factors into my tooling skills'.

In any event, I appreciate the link and I went ahead and ordered the 100-pack that was quite a deal at roughly 12-bucks, although the shipping was nearly the same amount. Oh well, my son is a musician so I'm sure he'll get good use out of all the extra screws and washers I'll have left over.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 10-05-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typos corrected

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast