International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Microphones. Likes? Dislikes?

Lets Talk Microphones. Likes? Dislikes?

Hello everyone. I am new to this broadcasting thing and wanted to introduce my self. My name is Tommy and have been a fan of radio for 20 years. I recently discovered what "Podcasting" is and want to take a shot at it. More of a hobby thing. I was wondering what a good microphone to start out with is, What your favorite microphone is, and what microphone do you have the most?

Also thank you to whom ever created this site. Very resourceful and a great way to meet other " Internet Broadcasters"

You can't go wrong with the ATR-2005 from Audio Technica. You will not find a better sounding mic for $35.
    Watch Tech News Weekly every Friday at 3pm EST on the GFQ Network.

I would recommend the AT 2005 also. Its very inexpensive and sounds really good. Currently I'm looking for a new microphone for my studio. The issue I face is microphone phasing in my studio. I have to go with low room noise microphones. Still have not found something that I really love

What microphones are you considering Andrew?

We have in use 2 Heil PR40's, EV RE20 and a Shure SM7B. I am not impressed with the Shure SM7B. The Heil's are probably the best for isolation. Anything off axis really is limited. The EV RE20 sounds pretty good as well.

If you are looking for a USB mic, I have a Blue Snowball and a Blue Yeti and for regular broadcasting do not recommend them unless you are in a closet. They are condenser microphones and hear everything. However, if you are trying to broadcast area audio, the yeti works great. You can set it to pickup in one direction or up to 3 directions.

If you are looking for a good lapel mic, look at a Rode lapel mic.

I was using a RE20 last week when I was visiting Spencer in LA. I have to say I'm not a fan of how I sounded on the Mic.

Yeah, I saw that show. You sounded very thin. On the RE 20's there is a low end roll-off switch, that can cause some of that. I will say each of these mics has a completely different EQ config. The Shure has a low end roll-off switch and a mid-upper boost switch too. It is just best to leave them flat and fix it in EQ in the board.

Did you get a local recording from the studio you were in? It seemed that there were some drops in the skype which could also cause some of the thinning.

Well, this is another late post to an old thread but in the off chance that somebody newer than me comes along (could happen), here it goes. I started with an Apogee MiC and since I didn't know better I thought it sounded pretty good. Still, I was a bit put off by the cost of the adapter kit just so I could mount it on my boom arm.

Then I joined this forum and watched a slew of YouTube demos. It was obvious that I just had to buy the PR40 that was actually less money than the Apogee! Okay, that was until I purchased the shock mount and pop filter.

Over time I started listening and reading more about the RE20 so I just had to give it a whirl. Even before it arrived I had reservations and decided that I wouldn't even open the box. But since it arrived on a Friday there was no way I could stare at that thing' over the weekend so out came the box cutter. Remember I'm a newbie so silly things matter to me. When I unzipped the pouch and saw that OD green it immediately reminded me of my 1971 Army fatigues and I thought it was hideous.

Anyway, I affixed the microphone into the birdcage (shock mount) and I started recording on my Mac. I was amazed as to how much better I sounded with its rich tone and fullness. It took away the sibilance and sharpness in my speech that was present in the PR40. Of course for every plus there's an equal minus, and it does pick up considerably more room noise then the Heil. Still, I'm more satisfied with the RE20 so I'll just add a few acoustic panels a bit earlier than I planned.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 09-03-2013 at 08:37 AM.

I think a person has to choose a vocal mike to match with their own voice and depending on what application you use it. Been using my Shure SM7B for 4 years and its been great. Even though I run an overhead fan and the wall behind me is the bathroom and running water/flush sounds it does not pick it up.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

Believe you me I couldn't agree with you more in terms of a mic must fit a person's individual voice. In so far as your particular mic goes, I do plan to eventually test the SM7B under the 'just because' rule of logic. With my miserable luck I will end up liking it and there goes my mad money!

If the Shure works for me I would likely just mount it on an alternate boom arm and use it under different conditions as you mentioned in your post. I've already passed the point of no return on my RE20 so it would simply be a new addition vs. swing-testing to find the right mousetrap.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 09-06-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast