International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Microphones. Likes? Dislikes?

Just got my RE27 N/D and hooked it up. I love the sound compared to my Rode Procaster. Although I have my trusty ATR 2100 that I could of had a closet full for what I paid for both of the other mics

I do love the shock mount system on the RE...like others say "it makes a great handle".

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Al, in my tests, the ATR2100 sounds MUCH better than the Rode Podcaster. Is that your observation, as well? It shocks me that anyone could be happy with the Podcaster. In fact, it surprises me that Rode even sells the mic. I've talked with people who use and like them, so obviously I'm just stating my biased opinion.

Regarding the difference in the noise picked up by the PR40 versus the RE20, that difference is marginal. It's probably close to splitting hairs. If a computer is noisy, it's the fans. You can get low noise fans. Moreover, there is no reason for the tower to be directly under the mic. Move it away. One of my i7s is at least 5 feet away from my mixer.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    Al, in my tests, the ATR2100 sounds MUCH better than the Rode Podcaster. Is that your observation, as well? It shocks me that anyone could be happy with the Podcaster. In fact, it surprises me that Rode even sells the mic. I've talked with people who use and like them, so obviously I'm just stating my biased opinion.

Regarding the difference in the noise picked up by the PR40 versus the RE20, that difference is marginal. It's probably close to splitting hairs. If a computer is noisy, it's the fans. You can get low noise fans. Moreover, there is no reason for the tower to be directly under the mic. Move it away. One of my i7s is at least 5 feet away from my mixer.
    Well, my computer is about six feet away from my CPU. Yes I do have quiet fans on the CPU, they're not all they quite. And the fan on my graphics cards is much louder, no replacing that fan. I'm going to add some of that sound damping material to the inside of the case door (not covering up the air vents of course) and see how that works. I thought the PR-40 was more directional and required you to be on axis much more than the RE20. Oh well, and hopefully when I get my DBX 286s, that will also help suppress some of the fan noise - Thanks.
    Reginald

Quote Originally Posted by AlBurr View Post
    Just got my RE27 N/D and hooked it up. I love the sound compared to my Rode Procaster. Although I have my trusty ATR 2100 that I could of had a closet full for what I paid for both of the other mics

I do love the shock mount system on the RE...like others say "it makes a great handle".
    Morning Al,
    So, you went all out with some pretty nice toys from Christmas! I agree the RE and especially the associated shock mount is pretty 'handy' for swinging around. Love it on my O.C. White extended reach boom arm.

Happy New Year's Eve!
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 12-31-2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: ADDED CONTENT

Quote Originally Posted by AlBurr View Post

Looks great Al!

So is there a compressor/limiter/gate or some device like a DBX 266 that will help reduce some of the background noises?
    Reginald

Background noise hiss can be caused by a few things. I would make sure everything is leveled properly. The DBX 286s is a great piece of hardware but it does not eliminate audio hiss. Most of the time something is set too high

I was speaking more in terms of a computer fan or some other background noise. I really don't have any hiss in my recording, just some computer fan noise and such.
    Reginald

the DBX 286 and DBX 266 both have a Gate. With that said the gate will only cut the background noise when you're not speaking.

Bigsix I have the 286s and use the "Expander/Gate" function to minimize my background noise (computer). It seems to be doing a good job as I begin to zero in on just the right settings. I think I will be able to get my audio to an acceptable level, for me, where I don't have to be right up on the mic. I also have a 266xs which is just a compressor/gate that I picked up real cheap before I got the 286s. I have yet to test it. I may do that soon just to see the differences as the 266xs doesn't have a pre-amp.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast