International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Podcasting Web App - Anyone Interested?

Podcasting Web App - Anyone Interested?

Hi,
    We used to do all of our feed updates and uploading manually, but it was slow and tedious work. Often it would take us three to four days after recording to get everything setup correctly. When we decided to overhaul our podcast we also decided to create an entire automated UI from scratch. Since we don't use a CMS for the public facing web portal (we chose to design everything by hand to create a more custom feel) we had to do everything from the ground up.

Now we have a system that we can use to upload our podcast to our remote host, generate the iTunes feed on-demand, and control the security. In addition, we also added an analytics engine that tracks direct and referred (ones from iTunes) downloads on a per episode basis. The framework also syncs directly to our public facing site and allows users to see the show information, notes, related media, and anything else they need.

Anyway, that was just some background information, and we are currently finishing up the "podmin" framework. We were thinking about releasing it with an open source GPL license. It will be an installable PHP based package, and we are checking to see if anyone would be interested. Again, we are not charging anything for it, and are just trying to see if it would be something useful for the community.

Let me know what you guys think.

Wow this is a great idea. We recently did a major overhaul to our process. It would take us about 8 hours to edit and upload a show to all our services. With our new workflow it takes about 3 hours per show. It is still being done manually and we would love to bring that process down by another hour.

We are still working out the bugs, but in all it takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour to get our show posted. We use adobe soundbooth for post processing and it supports automated scripts as well.

If you want I can setup a demo version of the app for you to check out. I will have to disable the analytics module though.

Quote Originally Posted by jboucher View Post
    We are still working out the bugs, but in all it takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour to get our show posted. We use adobe soundbooth for post processing and it supports automated scripts as well.

If you want I can setup a demo version of the app for you to check out. I will have to disable the analytics module though.
    I would love to be able to take a look at it as well. It sounds great, and I would to implement it into our new system. I'm in the middle of a Studio Rebuild now, and I thought this would be the perfect time to setup a new post production process.

Our current system takes about 2 hours. Since we do everything live to tape with as little editing as possible, we can get a pretty good turn around time. But the entire process is still done manually, and I would LOVE to automate it as much as I can.

I would love to give it a try and see if it can help.