PDA

View Full Version : Pro & Cons of asking for viewer/listener donations...

TomSinclair
03-07-2013, 10:53 PM
I've noticed some broadcast/podcast websites have included PayPal Donate buttons on their home page. What are your thoughts? Is it okay? Does it raise ethical questions? Is it even worth it?

I've just added one to my site (www.ThatVidBlasterGuy.com) and am interested to see what happens.

- Tom Sinclair (That VidBlaster Guy!)

Amnon
03-08-2013, 07:07 AM
I added one after I have been asked a few times "Can we make a small donation?". It has been a few months, haven't seen a thing :-)

andrewzarian
03-08-2013, 07:55 AM
We have on one GFQ but rarely talk about it on the air. We have about 20 people who make monthly reoccurring donations. I should start promoting it more :)

Podnutter
03-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Does anyone else ask for donations? How well does it work for you and how do you ask for it?

RadarGaming
03-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Does anyone else ask for donations? How well does it work for you and how do you ask for it?

I wouldnt ask of them, Just make a mention that you have added the donation button and it helps support the quality of the content.

TomSinclair
03-11-2013, 04:47 PM
@Nick - Are you speaking from experience? or is this your opinion?

erictimmer
03-11-2013, 07:39 PM
On my Teaching English in Japan podcast we had paypal donation buttons up for years. Every once in a while we get a donation. It's not much but it shows that people appreciate what we do (did). We have had more luck with affiliate links to buy Japanese stuff through J-List, and people buying an app that I made related to learning Japanese.

I don't think paypal worked for our niche because most of them are broke students that want to move to Japan and teach English, lol.
Like other we never really pushed it too hard. In fact it was always a running joke in the podcast. We would thank those that contributed and talk smack about the cheap bastards that didn't.

www.teijg.com (http://www.teijg.com)

TomSinclair
03-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Just got my first donation last Friday.

Thanks, Amnon! :cool:

wwpmmedianet
03-11-2013, 10:15 PM
I've noticed that some shows and stations get donations while others don't. I have one on my main radio station, but other than a $15 donation I received back in January, there has been nothing.

Dahalabit
03-17-2013, 03:25 PM
I like supporting fellow broadcasters. I donate about 30 dollars a month to my fav podcasts