PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your desk clean?

RadarGaming
03-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Im sure I am not the only one with this issue. How do you keep your desk clean with all the cables and equipment that is needed to run an internet broadcast? It seems like I clean up my desk and 2 weeks later its a disaster again. Any help would be great!

sunkast
03-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Im sure I am not the only one with this issue. How do you keep your desk clean with all the cables and equipment that is needed to run an internet broadcast? It seems like I clean up my desk and 2 weeks later its a disaster again. Any help would be great!

For cable management I stuck one of these cable trays from Ikea under my desk.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30200253/

mcphillips
03-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Good find, Sunkast!

RadarGaming
03-05-2013, 05:16 AM
For cable management I stuck one of these cable trays from Ikea under my desk.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30200253/

Thanks Sunkast, that great for cables what do you use for actual equipment?

sunkast
03-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks Sunkast, that great for cables what do you use for actual equipment?

I really don't have a lot of equipment. But having a large enough desk to space things out helps a lot to make things look cleaner. Also I place functionality over cleanliness. I think that's the key because a desk is inevitably is going to be cluttered over time. It can be managed to a degree by placing equipment where you need it and keeping the cables bundled together. That's not possible with everything though. For example I have a USB hub that I use often that has my phone charger and digital camera cable that I use often. There's not really anything that can be done to keep them from just looking messy.

Podnutter
03-06-2013, 10:35 AM
I have the issue of having a messy desk. Even when i clean up my office its never as clean as it can be. My issue is clutter. I have a problem of throwing things out.

As far as cable management... well I have non going on.. its a mess. I have seen some people electric tape the cables together. do you think thats a good idea

andrewzarian
03-12-2013, 09:20 AM
My studio is super clean due to my OCD. I cant stand wires hanging all over the place

Amnon
03-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Nick.
I keep the studio VERY neat and clean. All the cables are under the desk in something similar to what sunkast shows. I actually cut a strip out of the desk, full length X 4inches, cut a few half moons on the edges of the strip so that I can drop cables down into the "tunnel", and dropped it back in with some supports, so it is still flat on top. The equipment is in a small rack on the wall, and the PC's are under the desk against the wall. The desk is custom made (by me) and is set up like a radio studio where people can sit on both sides. The only equipment on the desk are a keyboard, mice, and a laptop.
Someone mention electric taping the cables... Bad advice.

TomSinclair
03-13-2013, 09:08 AM
I like Velcro tape to wrap wires. Want to change? Unwrap & re-wrap and your're done. Comes in a roll; cut it to what ever length you want.

Podnutter
03-13-2013, 02:53 PM
I have yet to find a great system for cable management

Dan Ortego
07-17-2013, 05:39 AM
I'm also a neat-freak so when I'm not feeling fat I'm under my tables tucking things away. More on point, I think sunkast found a very practical solution. Most of what I tried has been those sticky-back plastic hooks, Velcro, etc., and I can say that none of them hold over time.