PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a broadcasting partner...

MeatballCB
04-10-2012, 01:11 PM
A little over a year ago I got the bug about doing a tech podcast. I had been watching/listening to a bunch of them on Revision3, Twit.tv and GFQ for a while and thought it'd be fun to give it a shot. I talked to a bunch of tech folks I know to see if anyone was interested in giving it a go and ended up doing about 4 months worth of weekly 'beta tests'. We recorded full audio shows using Skype and went through all the motions to work out all the kinks, but never released anything publicly. We were hoping to have things relatively polished before we went live.

Unfortunately, the biggest challenge was getting a partner that would commit to a regular schedule and help me out with some of the administrative stuff. After about a dozen shows with a handful of other co-hosts I just shelved the idea and chalked it up to a fun learning experience.

Well, I've got the bug again and would love to give it another shot, but the key to me is finding a good partner that's as interested in doing it as I am. I'd like to find a partner (or two) I can rely on to help get stuff done, and actually show up every week. :) Honestly I think it's about chemistry though. Anyone can do a podcast and just read the news, but it's the chemistry between hosts that I think bring people back to the show week after week.

I've got some beta test recordings available if anyone is interested in listening, just let me know. I'm not really stuck on the formats or anything, though the only topic I'd likely be able to talk somewhat intelligently on is probably tech. If anyone out there is interested in teaming up, drop me a PM or post here and let me know!

mcphillips
04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
There are many, many tech shows on the Internet already. Is your show going to be unique enough to build a loyal following? Why would someone listen to your show in addition to or to the exclusion of hundreds of others?

One observation: Your MP3 files are quite large. They were encoded at 156K and 199K according to my MP3 player. You might want to consider a lower bitrate, like 128K for stereo. If you deliver in mono, you could get away with 64K or higher. You could end up spending a lot of money to archive your files for little audible benefit.

andrewzarian
04-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Finding people that will commit can be challenging. We currently have 20 on air personalities at the GFQ Network and even then things come up. I would recommend starting small and building from there. Maybe start with 1 show and find a co-host for it.

MeatballCB
04-11-2012, 04:22 AM
Appreciate the feedback!

Mcp - I know there's a lot of tech show out there already, but that's probably the topic I know the most about, so that was our original format. We did decide to drop down to a lower bitrate of the recording after we had done those shows and I would certainly do so again.

AZ - Yeah, finding another person committed has definitely been the hardest thing I've come across so far. I certainly need to find someone as interested in doing a show as I am. Maybe I'll find someone here on IAIB :)

Thanks guys!