PDA

View Full Version : Mixers

Hendo
02-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Hi

This is my first post. I have been lurking for about a month...lots of reading.

First off I would like to thank everyone here for the information they have provided. I would also like to give a special thank you to Mike Phillips, your information has been very helpful.

I was looking for a mixer to start taking live calls for a internet video/radio show.

Based on information from one of Mike Phillips post, I should be looking for one with as many post fader sends as possible.

I was looking at these to mixers...

Behringer XENYX UFX1204
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UFX1204.aspx

Behringer XENYX UFX1604
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UFX1604.aspx

They would seem to be ideal for pod casting....but yet I haven't been able to find information about them on this forum.

Any incite on them would be greatly appreciated.

Hendo

TomSinclair
02-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Hendo,

Glad you came out of the shadows... ;)

I use the X1204USB which is similar to the UFX1204. I reviewed it here:
http://youtu.be/o587tbUK4SM Mixer review starts at about 5:30 mark.

Mike Phillips reviewed the X1204USB and the 1204USB here: http://www.scoop.it/t/audio-equipment-and-techniques-for-webcasters-and-podcasters/p/721874921/behringer-1204usb-and-x1204usb-mixers

Might help in your search.

andrewzarian
02-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the forum. I personally have never been a big fan of Behringer. We were using a Mackie 1402-VLZ3 for a few years and it was great. It also has 2 aux sends on it

jamesdelfresco
02-24-2013, 02:00 PM
I really like the Behringer XENYX UFX1204 and have considered but it also. Why are so many people against Behringer. It looks like its the most used mixer for podcasts/.

Hendo
02-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Hendo,

Glad you came out of the shadows... ;)

I use the X1204USB which is similar to the UFX1204. I reviewed it here:
Mixer review starts at about 5:30 mark.

Mike Phillips reviewed the X1204USB and the 1204USB here: http://www.scoop.it/t/audio-equipment-and-techniques-for-webcasters-and-podcasters/p/721874921/behringer-1204usb-and-x1204usb-mixers

Might help in your search.

Thank you.

I have seen the video you attached, and also the review by Mike Phillips.

Based on that information...I may purchase the X1204USB.

I am still confused about the reason I need a mixer.

I can use a USB mic, Skype and VAC with one computer....and still do a live call in video show, on Google Plus. As a bonus Youtube will record the show.

Also Google Plus allows guest, via video hosted on the guests computer.

I am having a hard time seeing the need for a mixer.

Hendo
02-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Welcome to the forum. I personally have never been a big fan of Behringer. We were using a Mackie 1402-VLZ3 for a few years and it was great. It also has 2 aux sends on it

But this mixer is not USB.

mcphillips
02-24-2013, 08:29 PM
If you want to do all of your mixing "in the box", you don't need a mixer. Virtual Audio Cables is a kludge and a resource hog, but it does work. I cannot imagine having to control levels for each channel using a mouse, but if you're comfortable doing it, you may not need a mixer. I'm not sure how well a computer works with two or more USB mics of the same type.

andrewzarian
02-25-2013, 06:29 AM
using a computer to control all the levels is very different then using an actual mixer. Yes it can be don with VAC but the experience wont be great.

any specific reason you are looking to go with a USB mixer?

Hendo
02-25-2013, 08:29 AM
If you want to do all of your mixing "in the box", you don't need a mixer. Virtual Audio Cables is a kludge and a resource hog, but it does work. I cannot imagine having to control levels for each channel using a mouse, but if you're comfortable doing it, you may not need a mixer. I'm not sure how well a computer works with two or more USB mics of the same type.

Interesting.

I never looked in to the amount of resources VAC would need. That would defiantly be a deal breaker.

Hendo
02-25-2013, 08:32 AM
any specific reason you are looking to go with a USB mixer?

I looked into audio connection and USB connection. It just seams simpler with USB...and I have one sound card connection.

Is there a problem with USB?

andrewzarian
02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
I personally have never used a USB mixer that hasn't had an issue. But I know many people who have and there are no problems

Hendo
02-25-2013, 09:25 PM
I personally have never used a USB mixer that hasn't had an issue. But I know many people who have and there are no problems

Interesting.

What type of issues?

andrewzarian
02-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Groundloops and hums

jakebuffer
02-26-2013, 10:21 AM
I have also heard of horror stories of people with USB mixers. I try to avoid them becasue of the things I have heard but you most likely not have an issue with it.

TomSinclair
02-26-2013, 11:03 AM
I have also heard of horror stories of people with USB mixers.

Well, I have to tell the truth. I do have to keep my studio locked because the USB mixers will roam around the house at night. Almost stepped on one in the kitchen on time. Really creepy. My next door neighbor had one, but if I tell you that story, you'll never get one. Just be careful. That's all I can say. ;)

Dahalabit
02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
I use a usb mixer and never have had problems

Hendo
02-26-2013, 04:58 PM
I guess in may have to do with the quality of the USB cable. I have some high quality USB cables.

Hendo
02-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Well, I have to tell the truth. I do have to keep my studio locked because the USB mixers will roam around the house at night. Almost stepped on one in the kitchen on time. Really creepy. My next door neighbor had one, but if I tell you that story, you'll never get one. Just be careful. That's all I can say. ;)

I purchased the mixer you showed in your video.

Thank you for providing this information.

TomSinclair
02-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Great. If I can help you with the setup, let me know. Just remember to keep your studio locked at night!

domineaux
08-10-2013, 09:47 AM
spent the past few days viewing videos, reading reviews on mixers for podcast -live stream - w/call in - skype.

I have laptop and desktop computer. Most work will be with laptop. The MW12cx Yamaha has caught my attention. It is a usb version. I'm not quite sure it will be the best all around choice. So far, I've not found whether I can choose between USB and conventional connections to the laptop 3.5 mm and usb 2.o. Also, this mixer has compression adjust on 4 xlr inputs. I was thinking I might save on a compressor/gateway for awhile.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/mixers/mw/mw12cx/?mode=model

http://youtu.be/_EX-DrrMp8c

I was thinking of using the uca202 or uca 222 behring sound interface, because I don't want to use onboard mobo sound. Also, I need a separate card for skype and audio into the computer. I do have a couple of pci sound cards I can use in the desktop, but to be real honest I don't think the desktop will be the most used computer. Also, I understand addin cards on mobo aren't that good.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/behringer-uca202-review.html

I'm pretty well convinced I need sliders and about 12 or 14 channels. No, I don't need the channels now. Since I am thinking to do call in from VOIP and skype. I also plan to use a broadcast type software like the SAM or Wirecast for programming.

I was thinking to have video and audio for broadcasting. More of a TV station than radio. I just need to be careful how I plan out my equipment and software carefully, especially since my only experience is producing video recordings for youtube type hostings.

Currently, I am trying to choose the mixer and could use some suggestions. I have cameras, microphones, 2i2 (2 mic) focusrite usb audio interface (condenser mics) needed phantom power. I bought the scarlett studio thinking I could get started with it, but to be real honest I'm not too pleased with it. Too late to return it, so I will have to use it in some way. LOL

Any suggestions will be appreciated for a mixer.

Thanks