PDA

View Full Version : Making The Jump from Audio to Video

MyTakeRadio
04-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Hey guys,
I wasn't 100% sure if this was the ideal thread to post this topic but I figured what the hell and went for it. For those that don't know I interviewed Andrew a few months back and after speaking with him I have been giving serious thought to making the jump from audio to video. Like anything else I have quite a few reservations about making the transition. I want to hear from some of the fellow broadcasters and how they got over the initial apprehension about doing video. While I am well on my way to 150 live shows I like the anonymity that I kind of still have. That has been one of the big things that I worry about going the video route. Any words of wisdom or guidance would be appreciated.

andrewzarian
04-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Hey Rich,

Its about time !! I start out doing live video so its a little different for me. I am used to not having any anonymity when it comes to the internet. But on the plus side I think video allows you to have a better connection with your audience.

Spencer Kobren
04-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Hey guys,
I wasn't 100% sure if this was the ideal thread to post this topic but I figured what the hell and went for it. For those that don't know I interviewed Andrew a few months back and after speaking with him I have been giving serious thought to making the jump from audio to video. Like anything else I have quite a few reservations about making the transition. I want to hear from some of the fellow broadcasters and how they got over the initial apprehension about doing video. While I am well on my way to 150 live shows I like the anonymity that I kind of still have. That has been one of the big things that I worry about going the video route. Any words of wisdom or guidance would be appreciated.

Dude, I do the hair loss show! I discuss painting my head on camera...Talk about setting yourself up for a whole host of judgment and lack of anonymity.:) The bottom line is that, in my view, those who are resistant to producing both a video and audio product are doing themselves a great disservice.

Giving your audience the opportunity to sit with you in your studio provides a connection that separates your broadcast from those who don’t have the moxie to do it. The world of new media is extremely voyeuristic...people want to see what you got, and the more you show them the more they’ll tune in.

MyTakeRadio
04-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Hey Rich,

Its about time !! I start out doing live video so its a little different for me. I am used to not having any anonymity when it comes to the internet. But on the plus side I think video allows you to have a better connection with your audience.

I knew you'd say that Andrew. I do want to pull the trigger trust me but I need to get over being in front of the camera lol.

MyTakeRadio
04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Dude, I do the hair loss show! I discuss painting my head on camera...Talk about setting yourself up for a whole host of judgment and lack of anonymity.:) The bottom line is that, in my view, those who are resistant to producing both a video and audio product are doing themselves a great disservice.

Giving your audience the opportunity to sit with you in your studio provides a connection that separates your broadcast from those who don’t have the moxie to do it. The world of new media is extremely voyeuristic...people want to see what you got, and the more you show them the more they’ll tune in.

You have a point Spencer. Giving people that connection is key but embracing the negatives that come with it are always an issue for me. I am very private and blurring the line between my off air and on air views are the humps I need to get over.

andrewzarian
04-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Rich would you be broadcasting live or would it be a video podcast?

MyTakeRadio
04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I'd probably just do the entire thing live at 11pm with video for regular broadcasts. One day I'll do a show with you and learn from the man himself lol.

andrewzarian
04-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Feel free to come down anytime !

MyTakeRadio
04-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Cool. Let me know a day and a show and I will alter my schedule accordingly.

andrewzarian
04-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Fridays are good

MyTakeRadio
04-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Cool, Then we'll pindown a Friday and make it happen.

Spencer Kobren
04-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Cool, Then we'll pindown a Friday and make it happen.

You live in Queens Richard?

MyTakeRadio
04-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Yup,
Ironically enough not far from Andrew.

Spencer Kobren
04-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Yup,
Ironically enough not far from Andrew.

I lived in Woodside for a while.

MyTakeRadio
04-10-2012, 02:45 PM
That's awesome. Always good to hear from other locals.

ScottyBrown
05-01-2012, 11:18 PM
I started in radio as an intern for a local AM station here about 15 years ago. I'd always done audio workup until I started internet broadcasting. I did audio only for about a year then went to video.. and never looked back. Humans are by nature a very optical species... we like to LOOK at people. Having a video stream really makes your viewers feel like you are having a conversation with them, not just talking AT them.

The jump is huge though... a lot of technical difficulties to work around, and a lot more work during a live broadcast. It really helps if you have someone to help you produce your show while live... but if you don't, being the only person to run everything AND host... well, that can be somewhat challenging. Especially when things start to go wrong. =)

cseeman
05-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Hmm, lots of locals here. I'm just outside of Ridgewood.

I think anyone who can handle radio should handle live video streaming. One's "character/personality" is more important than looks IMHO. Even being self conscious and/or self deprecating is fine if that's part of your persona. It may well mean that one's video person evolves differently than one's radio persona. It obviously depends on the individual but it's conceivable one's radio persona is "intimate" whereas one's video personal might express that you feel "exposed." Our unique characteristics, even if we personally perceive them as impediments, are the very things that may make use endearing to the viewership. If you look like a bad hair day... role with it.

andrewzarian
05-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Ridgewood Queens or NJ? Chaunce Hayden ( does a show for me) is from Glen Rock .. Small world

cseeman
05-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Ridgewood Queens or NJ? Chaunce Hayden ( does a show for me) is from Glen Rock .. Small world
Ridgewood Queens.
Although I do know where Glen Rock is. Used to have a friend that lived there.

MyTakeRadio
05-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Hmm, lots of locals here. I'm just outside of Ridgewood.

I think anyone who can handle radio should handle live video streaming. One's "character/personality" is more important than looks IMHO. Even being self conscious and/or self deprecating is fine if that's part of your persona. It may well mean that one's video person evolves differently than one's radio persona. It obviously depends on the individual but it's conceivable one's radio persona is "intimate" whereas one's video personal might express that you feel "exposed." Our unique characteristics, even if we personally perceive them as impediments, are the very things that may make use endearing to the viewership. If you look like a bad hair day... role with it.

You are right. Its all psychological for me. Coming out from the comforting curtain on anonymity is a tough pill to swallow,

mcphillips
05-06-2012, 06:04 AM
If you're not comfortable going public with video, don't do it. You can't take it back once it's done.

andrewzarian
05-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Small world. Bayside here!!