PDA

View Full Version : Questions for network owners.

bushido
02-19-2013, 06:47 AM
How do you stay sane?
Just kidding, but honestly I've seen how difficult it can be during the stickam days.
Difficult in keeping everyone happy, juggling personality conflicts and handling various wildcard events (quitting talent/defections etc). I give maximum props to anyone claiming to be a network owner and actually being successful at it.

So my questions are as follows to network owners:
1. Do you hold your roster to any contractual agreements?

2. If yes, how do you get that across in the event that no money is present? It's always been my personal opinion to say: No money in play = no need for contracts.

3. Is it difficult managing your roster?

4. If not, is it because you choose your roster carefully, fully vetting your potential new talent?

That being said, I myself will NEVER..and I mean NEVER form my own network, too stressful looking from my vantage point. Especially if you find yourself being a producer for multiple show, or worst, you have to fire someone.

andrewzarian
02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
So my questions are as follows to network owners:
1. Do you hold your roster to any contractual agreements?
A. We generally do not have contracts with our shows. Only two shows on GFQ have had contracts. the good news is we have never had anyone walk out of quit

2. If yes, how do you get that across in the event that no money is present? It's always been my personal opinion to say: No money in play = no need for contracts.
If the show isnt making money there is no reason to complicate things.

3. Is it difficult managing your roster?
Depends what you mean by difficult :) I have been extremly lucky to have a great group of people who are dedicated to the brand. We are all close outside of the network.

4. If not, is it because you choose your roster carefully, fully vetting your potential new talent?
I only work with people who I personally get along with

That being said, I myself will NEVER..and I mean NEVER form my own network, too stressful looking from my vantage point. Especially if you find yourself being a producer for multiple show, or worst, you have to fire someone.[/QUOTE]

bushido
02-19-2013, 12:57 PM
hey there andrew. I was hoping you'd respond to to this, as I think you're probably one of the success stories out there. I think your case is also unique because you are able to dedicate such a large amount of time to this. Every other network owner I've met was also juggling a non-broadcast daytime gig and couldn't give their network the attention it deserved.You're probably in the unique position to be able to shape your vision at every step of development. Direct question to you..

Since you obviously broadcast daily,which is a darn good feat imo, do you follow a format? If so, do you have staff to gather topics for you?

andrewzarian
02-19-2013, 03:42 PM
It depends on the show we have. What the Tech i do most of the prep for it. I have an outline that every show follows. Most of the other shows are written by the cohosts.

RadarGaming
02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
For my shows I do all the prep word, which I must say takes a lot of time. But there are some great tools to help like Google Reader (http://www.google.com/reader/view/#overview-page) and Pocket (http://getpocket.com).

bushido
02-19-2013, 03:47 PM
is the outline tailor-made per show? Because that would still be an impressive amount of work. Did you change az show into the free for all?

bushido
02-19-2013, 03:49 PM
For my shows I do all the prep word, which I must say takes a lot of time. But there are some great tools to help like Google Reader (http://www.google.com/reader/view/#overview-page) and Pocket (http://getpocket.com).
do you review games? It would be pretty cool if you cohost with a game developer or even a beta tester. That's if you aren't already one of those.

andrewzarian
02-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Yea like the Andrew Zarian show had a format we would follow every week. The free for all actually has no notes (hence the name Free for all)

I think its a good idea to be prepped with enough material for the show. With that said its not mandatory that you use it

bushido
02-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Yeah, it's definitely more difficult than it seems, Especially on the technical side of it all. It's one of those things you really have to have a passion for.