PDA

View Full Version : How Do you Monetize Your Podcast?

Spencer Kobren
04-09-2012, 03:36 PM
I’m a huge believer in thinking outside of the box when it comes to the distribution and monetization of my broadcast. What are some unique ways you’ve found to monetize yours?

MyTakeRadio
04-09-2012, 10:30 PM
I usually use sell 30 sec. spots for commercials to play between segments. Also link what we review to our Amazon affiliate accounts. It is a slow battle. May move some older content to a paywall in the near future as well. Still researching that.

JakeKettle
04-10-2012, 04:29 AM
It actually ends up costing me money LOL. Haven't found a way to monetize it as of yet, most of the advertising options (at least from my reading), you would need hundreds of thousands of viewers to even be considered by an advertiser. Not sure what else there is as far as monetization goes.

andrewzarian
04-10-2012, 09:58 AM
We stick to Live reads. Each show does a live read for the product that we are advertising.

Spencer Kobren
04-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Hey Richard, selling ads is always good if you can do it, but it’s not easy for most independents.

You said a mouthful Jake! This is an issue that most internet broadcasters face, but the truth is it’s really not an issue at all. You guys have to think outside of the box and understand that you don't have to have millions of downloads a month to make a lot of money as an internet broadcaster.

This is new media, and in my view playing by the old rules makes little sense. Here’s an idea for you Jake. Why not partner with an established online community in your genre? You can provide them with unique content for their site that will separate them from the rest. The name of the game for online communities is traffic, so this is a win win. You’ll be gaining a captured audience that in time will want to consume anything you produce and your community partner will gain traffic from competing sites by offering unique content. In time you can either charge a licensing fee for your content or work out some sort of revenue split.

Food for thought....

andrewzarian
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
when people ask me for tips to monetize their podcast I always tell them to grow the audience first. You also need to make sure that your audience will be interested in the product that you are advertising on your show. Its always great to get money accept money but you also want the sponsor to keep coming back

MyTakeRadio
04-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Most times when it comes to other shows that buy air time it is usually a show that our audience can connect with. A lot of our listeners are cheap lol so it is always an uphill battle. I definitely spend more then I make but eventually a winning formula will present itself. I agree with Spencer with regards to changing how the game is played. Need to take risks

andrewzarian
04-10-2012, 11:38 AM
.A lot of our listeners are cheap lol so it is always an uphill battle.

I laughed out loud for this one !

MyTakeRadio
04-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Shit man you know how it is! People are quick to criticize your product but the minute you ask for help or a few bucks whether via clicking some ads or buying a shirt to help make things better then everyone gets quiet.

andrewzarian
04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
I think it comes down to having the right audience for the product you are advertising. We are very lucky with a great group of people that support the advertisers we work with.

Spencer Kobren
04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Shit man you know how it is! People are quick to criticize your product but the minute you ask for help or a few bucks whether via clicking some ads or buying a shirt to help make things better then everyone gets quiet.

Funny thing about business and life...Everyone wants a piece of the pie, but often times few are willing help bake it.

MyTakeRadio
04-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Funny thing about business and life...Everyone wants a piece of the pie, but often times few are willing help bake it.

Truest statement I've read today

Spencer Kobren
04-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Truest statement I've read today

That's how I role.;)

BradShoemaker
04-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Our broadcasts are mostly live at a bar, therefore we have a built in cashflow from the bars that pay us (in cash and bar tab). After that we believe in live reads to truly bring home the client.

Is that going to cut it for the future... most likely not, but it helped us get up and running...

I agree with Andrew whole-heartedly... Your content needs to be solid, you need to have a following, then worry about monetizing it. Had Google thought about profits early in the game, they wouldn't be worth nearly $200 billion. Get your product and following down, as you grow put together several monetization strategies (both traditional and non-traditional). Don't be afraid to experiment, find your niche. Look at your analytics, do some work to gain qualitative data as well as your traditional quantitative data. Then find the clients that fit you best. Like cable, you can narrow your audience much more than traditional broadcast media. You don't always have to have the biggest following. Sometimes having the right following will be your best bet.

For instance... you have a show about model trains. Boring to many, but exciting to a few. A model train company will want to push their products to your listeners because they are exactly who will buy their products, therefore you can get more of a premium from fewer listeners than someone who appeals to a wide audience.