PDA

View Full Version : Taking a stab at low power broadcasting

bushido
02-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Hello all.

I have a long term plan to broadcast on FM in conjunction with the internet. I've purchased a low powered FM transmitter (100 watts) and a 9 foot antenna. It would seem that I will have a range of nearly 4 miles. The only problem is waiting on FCC loop holes and hoops, licensing period window is october 2013. If anyone has any ideas or wants to partner or cook up some visions for the future, I'm open to discussion.

Other than that, does anyone have any advice or warnings?

Update: Just did some further research. To get an LPFM license, I need to be a non profit educational entity (college radio), church service or a government service provider. None of that fits what I'm doing. Not sure if I can get a refund for all of this stuff but I'll try.

mcphillips
02-17-2013, 08:24 AM
If you're in the United States, the likelihood of getting an FM license is slim to none. Not only do you have to meet the legal requirements for LPFM, but there also has to be available spectrum. Radio station frequency allocations are extremely valuable commodities. Hopefully you can get your money back.

Linuxcooldude
02-17-2013, 08:26 AM
I've looked into it myself. I thought you could get one if you serve the community radio, providing traffic, weather reports ect.

bushido
02-17-2013, 08:46 AM
If you're in the United States, the likelihood of getting an FM license is slim to none. Not only do you have to meet the legal requirements for LPFM, but there also has to be available spectrum. Radio station frequency allocations are extremely valuable commodities. Hopefully you can get your money back. Exactly, Mchillips. After being up all night in another one of my recent research marathons, I discovered that part 15 AM can legally by-pass the FCC regulations. The draw back however is while you spend less money setting up LPAM than it's FM equivalent, You end up paying at least 3 times more to get a comparable set-up to warrant being called a viable FM alternative. LPAM gets only 700 feet or so with up to 2 miles under optimal conditions (read:the sticks/boonies/country side). There will always be a clearchannel, viacom or even a more powerful AM to knock you right out the sky. LPAM might work somewhere near the penn/new york border but smack dap in the middle of queens? forget about it.

I've looked into it myself. I thought you could get one if you serve the community radio, providing traffic, weather reports ect.
Yes, In fact these are probably the only conditions under which one could get an LPFM. There's no way the FCC is going to let a local howard stern type get an LPFM license. On another point, You have to really be mindful of what you're saying, lest you acquire punishing FCC fines. Which means NO POTTY mouth. If one is the type of person where all types of profanity pours out and doesn't even know it's happening, forget LPFM for sure!

erictimmer
02-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Start a new religion ;-)

bushido
02-17-2013, 02:16 PM
With Tax exemption status and kool aid as incentives, I just might.

Dahalabit
02-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Mike, Why is it so hard to do something like this?

bushido
02-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I know you're asking mike, but if I may answer, It's not so much of it being difficult as it is being expensive.In addition, much like everything else that is done the legal way, It's a lot of red tape and bureaucracy. My initial investment ran total of just under 6k. That included the FM transmitter and antenna. The hardest part is getting out there and doing the antenna set up, which involves running cable and wall drilling. It's totally conceivable that one could spend an entire day setting up the antenna on the roof. And roofs aren't exactly easy to get on ...and most tend to be high. so you're definitely gambling with your well being on set up.

and finally, there's the FCC. Sure, I could make the decision to say screw the FCC and run a pirate station. But then that's where the fines come in.And FCC fines are notoriously draconian. with violations running into the 10s of thousands. the infamous janet jackson nip slip cost CBA $325,000 and howard stern was fined millions before ending up on sirius.

update: I've decided to think long term on this and just put the transmitter and antenna in storage. I might run into someone that might have the FCC license peanut butter to my transmitter & antenna jelly. Best case scenario would be a 3rd party having both the literal and figurative bread to make it all work.

mcphillips
02-18-2013, 11:42 AM
FM channel allocations are limited commodities. When you get a construction permit to enable you to build a radio station, it is because you have proved to the FCC to its satisfaction that the signal that you transmit from that tower at that power at that location will not cause co-channel or adjacent channel interference to pre-existing FM stations. The process is a lot like making cookies with a cookie cutter and a roll of dough. You can make cookies as long as there is a big enough piece remaining to make a cookie.

When commodities are limited and valuable, competition for them is vicious. The big boys with the big bucks will spend those big bucks to keep the little guys from getting an allocation. Back in the early sixties, FM radio stations were easy to get and cheap. When the US switched their listening habits from AM to FM in the early seventies, the game changed.

If you want to read a technical explanation, read this article on FM Broadcasting in the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcasting_in_the_United_States). Pay particular attention to the information on FCC Docket 80-90.

bushido
02-18-2013, 11:58 AM
If you want to read a technical explanation, read this article on FM Broadcasting in the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcasting_in_the_United_States). Pay particular attention to the information on FCC Docket 80-90.
Interesting, So it would seem that non commercial stations aren't granted an FCC license. To be totally realistic, I guess I'm just trying to be prepared for a opportunity. I'm just one show and that hardly constitutes owning an entire FM allocation for a 2 hour broadcast. How about this idea, Is there a remote possibility that should the day come where I get hired as a clear channel FM talent, I can use my FM gear to broadcast from home to the clear channel FM station?

Amnon
02-18-2013, 01:41 PM
You need to listen to our show, computers2know) and talk to Gary about this. Doesn't he Mike ??? (the part of using the transmitter to send it to CC)

bushido
02-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Give me a time and I'll go over and listen.