PDA

View Full Version : How do you use Skype with your broadcast?

Podnutter
02-10-2013, 04:52 PM
I was wondering how you guys use Skype with your broadcast. I was wondering how you set up the audio and video in your broadcast?

Amnon
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
I was wondering how you guys use Skype with your broadcast. I was wondering how you set up the audio and video in your broadcast?
We have a subscription to group video. I sit in the studio doing the switching, three other hosts are each at home coming in through Skype. I capture each of them as a camera (using the great VidBlaster) and the rest is history ;-). On another pc, we have a copy of Skype for incoming calls (subscription to incoming number, and calling out), where callers can call in to ask questions or simply participate.

gfqnetwork
02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
We have 4 dedicated Skype machines in our studio. Each Skype machine sends the video out to our switching machine ( has 4 capture cards) Each channel also has mix minus on it

ericchilton
02-16-2013, 04:13 AM
Hey GFQ....thats what Im trying to do. Can you tell me what I need to set that up. I understand the audio part....I have that running directly into my mixer. But how do you handle the video. What do I need specifically?

andrewzarian
02-16-2013, 06:44 AM
You need 4 dedicated skype machines that have HDMI out on the video card. Then you need 4 Black Magic Intensity Pro capture cards on computer you will be using a a switcher

robistech
02-17-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm currently using 1 skype machine with audio out going to the board and a mix minus send in, as well as using Desktop Presenter to capture the video and my cheap return video solution to send program out back to my guest. I also have a second skype machine with the same audio setup but no return video yet.

Dahalabit
02-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Is there a way to force skype to only do SD video even if they have HD?

jamesdelfresco
09-27-2013, 08:02 PM
I have a computer dedicated to just skypeing. I have the video going out Via HDMI from the video card into a Black Magic Card on my wirecast machine. Works great!

MovieBuff
09-28-2013, 04:52 PM

Great question.

mkresic
06-09-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm a little confused about how exactly a video setup works. Maybe I'm overthinking this. For my audio podcasts today I have mix minus configured to my Skype machine. Both of my remote hosts call into this one machine. That works just fine... when Skype is not misbehaving.

But I want to add video and use Wirecast. My thought was to have each remote host call in to a separate Skype machine and then use Desktop Presenter to capture their video to a 3rd machine running Wirecast. Similarly I could use DP to capture my screen if I wanted to show something in a browser window. But this raises several questions:

1. Can I run the same Skype account on both Skype machines or does each Skype user have to call a different Skype account on my end

2. What video am I sending BACK to each remote Skype user? They're already getting mix minus audio. I don't imagine I can send them any video back from my Wirecast machine. Is there a way for them to see the video I am "producing on the fly" in the studio? Or are they just staring at nothing when we are recording?

3. Does this setup eliminate the need for video graphics cards in each machine since I am just grabbing the video with Desktop Presenter? (thinking about using a Mac Mini for each Skype host. Bad idea?)

Has anyone produced a video walking through their video workflow? I have seen many YouTube videos showcasing some very cool studios, but none have gone into the specifics of how to do this other than at a high level.

Thanks,
Mike

robistech
06-09-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm a little confused about how exactly a video setup works. Maybe I'm overthinking this. For my audio podcasts today I have mix minus configured to my Skype machine. Both of my remote hosts call into this one machine. That works just fine... when Skype is not misbehaving.

But I want to add video and use Wirecast. My thought was to have each remote host call in to a separate Skype machine and then use Desktop Presenter to capture their video to a 3rd machine running Wirecast. Similarly I could use DP to capture my screen if I wanted to show something in a browser window. But this raises several questions:

1. Can I run the same Skype account on both Skype machines or does each Skype user have to call a different Skype account on my end

2. What video am I sending BACK to each remote Skype user? They're already getting mix minus audio. I don't imagine I can send them any video back from my Wirecast machine. Is there a way for them to see the video I am "producing on the fly" in the studio? Or are they just staring at nothing when we are recording?

3. Does this setup eliminate the need for video graphics cards in each machine since I am just grabbing the video with Desktop Presenter? (thinking about using a Mac Mini for each Skype host. Bad idea?)

Has anyone produced a video walking through their video workflow? I have seen many YouTube videos showcasing some very cool studios, but none have gone into the specifics of how to do this other than at a high level.

Thanks,
Mike

Great questions Mike. Here's my take:
1. Each guest needs to call into a separate skype account.

2. Wirecast allows a "Virtual Camera Output" essentially allowing you to easily share the program output to a Skype caller BUT it does not work when you have skype running on a seperate machine (which is actually the correct way to do this) Sending a program output feed to the Skype callers is not incredibly hard to do, but connivence, price, and quality all go hand in hand. For the cleanest return video, easiest thing to do would be to take for example the HDMI output of your Wirecast rig, send it through an HDMI splitter, and then run the split connections to their own separate inputs on each machine's HDMI capture card. I use an AverTV which works decent for the price, but you could also use a Black Magic Intensity Pro. If you want to save some $, a few years ago I showed off a much cheaper way to do skype return video. Quality isn't nearly as good, but if you just want to give each guest a live feed so they can see what's up on screen, this will work. I detailed my setup here (http://forum.ibroadcastnetwork.org/showthread.php/356-Skype-Return-Video), and feel free to ask any questions if you have any. On a sidetone, if you go with Mac Minis, PCI cards won't work. You would want to go with the Black Magic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Edition

3. Desktop Presenter will work, but certainly not ideal. It's always good to try it before buying any extra equipment , but I've always run into frame rare issues and it will never be as smooth as capturing the actual output into a capture card. Again, you'd want to go with either the AverTV or BMI Pro, and put 2 of these into your Wirecast rig. Take the HDMI output of your Mac Minis and feed them into the capture cards. If budget allows, there's nothing wrong with Mac Minis, but PCs usually work just fine as Skype Machines and offer more flexibility and capture card support.

mkresic
06-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Great questions Mike. Here's my take:
1. Each guest needs to call into a separate skype account.

2. Wirecast allows a "Virtual Camera Output" essentially allowing you to easily share the program output to a Skype caller BUT it does not work when you have skype running on a seperate machine (which is actually the correct way to do this) Sending a program output feed to the Skype callers is not incredibly hard to do, but connivence, price, and quality all go hand in hand. For the cleanest return video, easiest thing to do would be to take for example the HDMI output of your Wirecast rig, send it through an HDMI splitter, and then run the split connections to their own separate inputs on each machine's HDMI capture card. I use an AverTV which works decent for the price, but you could also use a Black Magic Intensity Pro. If you want to save some $, a few years ago I showed off a much cheaper way to do skype return video. Quality isn't nearly as good, but if you just want to give each guest a live feed so they can see what's up on screen, this will work. I detailed my setup here (http://forum.ibroadcastnetwork.org/showthread.php/356-Skype-Return-Video), and feel free to ask any questions if you have any. On a sidetone, if you go with Mac Minis, PCI cards won't work. You would want to go with the Black Magic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Edition

3. Desktop Presenter will work, but certainly not ideal. It's always good to try it before buying any extra equipment , but I've always run into frame rare issues and it will never be as smooth as capturing the actual output into a capture card. Again, you'd want to go with either the AverTV or BMI Pro, and put 2 of these into your Wirecast rig. Take the HDMI output of your Mac Minis and feed them into the capture cards. If budget allows, there's nothing wrong with Mac Minis, but PCs usually work just fine as Skype Machines and offer more flexibility and capture card support.

Robistech-

Thank you for that information. I appreciate the time you took to address each of my questions. And you really helped me understand the need for the capture cards in the machines. I have to admit I did not understand why they were necessary at all if Desktop Presenter was available. But I had also worried about audio sync issues with that approach and your comments suggest there may be a reason to be concerned about that. I'll have to look into all of those card options you mentioned.

I'm pretty much a Mac setup today but certainly not averse to picking up a few cheap Windows boxes. That certainly would provide more options that going the external route like the Intensity Shuttle which a Mac Mini would force me to do.

Much appreciate your help! It's so cool to have a forum like this. I'd done countless searches for info or videos and you basically answered all of my questions within an hour of my post. Amazing.

Mike