PDA

View Full Version : What to use for an audio only stream?

RadarGaming
02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
I have looked into many different sources for doing and audio broadcast along side with my current video stream. I have used things like Mixlr and Shoutcast streaming. I do really love Mixlr but to get an embed on your site you must have a pro account. With Shoutcast you can use free hosts to broadcast to it and embed it to your site. So what are your thoughts on a host for streaming audio.

mcphillips
02-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Mixlr is $8 per month for the professional account. If you're not going to stream 24/7, why not share an account with someone?

RadarGaming
02-07-2013, 04:58 PM
True very good idea Mike, Thanks

andrewzarian
02-07-2013, 07:55 PM
We use Streammonster.com Its 9 dollars a month and you can add the stream to services like Stitcher, Tunein Livio.... We currently have a 64k stream and will be adding a second 128k stream this month

jamesdelfresco
02-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Anyone else know of some companies to host a audio stream?

Donovan
02-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Andrew --
Have you ever had any issues with their support? I've had a ticket opened with them since Friday and haven't had a response from them yet. My audio stream is dragging and I've stopped and restarted the server several times but nothing seems to fix it.

We use Streammonster.com Its 9 dollars a month and you can add the stream to services like Stitcher, Tunein Livio.... We currently have a 64k stream and will be adding a second 128k stream this month

andrewzarian
02-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Hey Donovan,

Yea interestingly enough we had some issues on Friday with them. our stream wasn't working properly. The biggest problem I have currently is with the stats they provide. Its not working properly. I have submitted 8 tickets over the past few months and they have not corrected the problem ( Even though they say that they have)

They are also not that great at getting back to you via support

bushido
02-11-2013, 05:19 PM
So if I understand audio streaming correctly, I use sambroadcaster to broadcast and streammonster to carry the stream?

andrewzarian
02-12-2013, 06:38 AM
yup ! Streammonster is a host

Custom DJ Drops
02-12-2013, 07:18 AM
If I may suggest Mixstream

http://www.mixstream.net

Hope this helps.

golligysutton
02-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Hey RadarGaming,
It may be worth looking into Shoutcast servers with Centovacast, this way you can stream audio 24/7 without having to maintain any servers, and connect whenever you want.

xmusiconline
02-12-2013, 08:13 AM
If I may suggest Mixstream

http://www.mixstream.net

Hope this helps.

These are the guys I use.. Have had a few rare issues with them but overall very stable (and I am using one of their "value" servers)

andrewzarian
02-12-2013, 06:58 PM
The prices on Streammonster seem a little better. I believe you can get 100 viewers at any given time at 64k for 10 bucks a month

JayAre
02-14-2013, 10:33 PM
I use comcities.com (http://my.comcities.com/aff.php?aff=017) they have the Centavocast control panel, with up to 999 listeners @ up to 128k, have Auto DJ, all for 10.00.
They are very reliable with very few issues and their support teams get back to you fairly quick.
Click here to check it out :Comcities.com (http://my.comcities.com/aff.php?aff=017)

nvradio
07-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Radionomy (www.radionomy.com) is free and allows you to upload thousands of your own songs, gives you a completely web based platform, and embedable players for your websites as well as social media tools.

markinrussia
07-10-2013, 05:01 AM
I don't know if anyone is even following this thread, but I'll still pitch in my two cents worth. I used Mixlr for a while, the Pro version where you can embed a player, but I was having problems trying to set things up so that I could have live shows with Skype callers, not saying it can't do it, just saying that I couldn't figure things out and they were of little help. I then bought SAM Broadcaster Pro, which I really like and got an account at Streammonster for $10 a month, 128kbps and 100 listeners.
I then went for a deal offered by Wohooo.net where I pay $15 a month, and this won't go up, I was able to choose the sampling rate, which I chose 128kbps, but can always move higher for free, in addition I get 1000 listeners, which is about 950 more than I need at this time, but I can dream. Additionally, the service is quick and fantastic. A huge plus is that rather than the Centavo CP like most shoutcast servers use, they offer an Airtime online panel which really puts the Centavo CP to shame in my opinion. The Airtime panel has a "switch" which allows you to seamlessly go from the auto DJ mode to SAM Broadcaster Pro.

Some info for one of the previous posters; If you buy SAM Broadcaster, then you must buy the PRO version. The regular, cheaper version only allows you to stream on one of their servers which are very expensive, the PRO version removes this limitation. You should also know that you need SAM only when doing a "Live" show, for anything else you can just upload your files to the auto DJ in either Airtime or Centova and then arrange them in your CP. My streammonster plan included 5 Gb of storage for auto DJ, whereas my Wohoo.net plan includes 20Gb of storage. If you are planning on broadcasting a lot of material that is not live, it's better to use an auto DJ feature, otherwise you need to keep your SAM Broadcaster running and you computer also. Right now I'm vacationing in Turkey for a couple of weeks, yet I pre-programed my station before I left for two weeks, no muss, no fuss at all. My station is http://russiaspeaks.com and in addition to the player there on my site, I also have an Apple and an ANdroid app there available for free download. This is something that will help you get more listeners if you are serious, and I was able to get both apps made for $150 total. Well, a lot of info, but I hope to be able to help someone learn from my steps. By the way, the plan I have with Wohooo.net is not even advertised on their site, you should write to them and ask about it.

I forgot to mention that with the Centavo CP you need to FTP everything, with Airtime it uses HTML5 and uploads right from your browser, which I prefer.

mcphillips
07-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Mark, thanks for sharing that information. If you have a mixer with at least one Aux send, you can integrate Skype into your mix. A lot of people are unnecessarily afraid of mix-minus, but there are plenty of resources to help master it. SAM Broadcasters is a great and popular program, but it's certainly not necessary for live broadcasting. Mixlr is certainly not the resource to help you with Skype integration although there is a quite interesting article on doing so on their blog.

andrewzarian
07-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Sunkast wrote a blog post this morning on setting up an audio only station/ stream .http://www.ibroadcastnetwork.org/blog/how-to-set-up-an-internet-radio-station