PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid Of Switcher Using Google Plus

RadarGaming
02-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Yes, You are reading the title correctly. I have ditched the switcher and moved to the Google Plus On-Air Hangouts for my live podcast that I do every Friday night. For me running a show through a switching software took me out of the show and caused me not to be able to participate as much in the show. We have seen a good change in the flow of the show and a good turn out. What are your thoughts on moving from a switcher to Google Plus Hangouts?

andrewzarian
02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Hey Nick Content comes first. If you felt that using a switcher was hindering the quality of your show then you made the right move. I have said many times that if Google Hangouts had existed when I started Internet Broadcasting I would have used it first before investing the time and money into a Switcher. If I added up the cost if upgrades for the Switcher machines, Reordering machine and all the skype machines I would be at around 15 grand

the downside of using Google hangouts is quality. Both Audio and Video is no where near the level of Skype

jamesdelfresco
02-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Are there any web based switchers ? I dont have the money to invest into a bunch of computers. I would to know if there is something that can do it Via the web

andrewzarian
02-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Im not too sure James. I can ask a few people in the morning

RadarGaming
02-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Are there any web based switchers ? I dont have the money to invest into a bunch of computers. I would to know if there is something that can do it Via the web

It would be great if there was an online web switcher. I just dont think that there is that kind of power in the web interfaces yet to do live switching and productions. But would be amazing.

mcphillips
02-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Maybe Sean can write one. :)

Sean Callahan
02-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Maybe Sean can write one. :)

Don't worry Mike i'm working on one.

andrewzarian
02-07-2013, 07:54 PM
I spoke to someone a few months ago and they had found a webbased switcher / they know someone who was working on it. Google Hangouts is all we have right now but It does seem like a really interesting Idea.

Dahalabit
02-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Google plus is the closest thing that we have. If they improve the quality it will be a great alternate to getting a pricey switcher

erictimmer
02-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Until Google ups the resolution on the hangouts I guess we have to have really good lighting and in HD to get to the best out of the resolution they are using now.

mcphillips
02-09-2013, 03:32 PM
zoom.us has better video, and they delay the switch until the shot is in focus.

RadarGaming
02-09-2013, 04:28 PM
zoom.us has better video, and they delay the switch until the shot is in focus.

The only issue is with Zoom is that you cant stream directly to YouTube with it. But yes the quality is amazing on Zoom.us