PDA

View Full Version : Putting your content on Roku,Boxee, and other Devices

andrewzarian
01-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Wondering how many of you guys have your content on TV devices. Have you looked into getting your content on devices like Roku , Boxee , or google tv?

xmusiconline
01-30-2013, 10:20 PM
I finally broke down and bought a ROKU for Netflix .. Would be happy if GFQ was on it :) I like not having to tie up my computer screen to watch online video.

erictimmer
01-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Agreed! It's time for GFQ to have a Roku channel :-)

AndrewSeabrook
01-31-2013, 01:21 AM
I access GFQ through an XBMC add-on. Works really well....:rolleyes:

BradShoemaker
01-31-2013, 08:34 AM
I access GFQ through an XBMC add-on. Works really well....:rolleyes:

I have just started looking into what it would take to get content on the devices. I know TWiT does it.

andrewzarian
01-31-2013, 08:55 AM
I would love to be on all the platforms I just need to find someone to develop for me :)

mcphillips
02-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Steve Lee at netcaststudio.com may be the guy.

ChaseShumway
02-07-2013, 06:31 PM
We're on the Roku via the Blubrry Channel. It'd be nice to have our own branded channel someday. But we're audio only and it's expensive to have this stuff done, so Blubrry will do for now. They also have channels/apps for GoogleTV, Samsung Smart TV and Boxee.

We're also accessible on the Roku through the TuneIn app. And if someone really knows what they're doing, they can add the private iTunes channel and subscribe to ANY audio podcast on iTunes. Not sure if it works for video podcasts though, haven't tried that yet.

Another source — for us — is the Shoutcast Channel on Roku. If you tune to the ErrorFM Live station you can hear our LIVE show and reruns in the early morning.

I've popped in on GFQ and a few others on the UStream and "Unofficial" JustinTV channels. Although you have to search for them and it's about a 50/50 chance the stream will play. The XBMC add-on AndrewSeabrook mentioned is probably a better way.

Dahalabit
02-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Chase how many viewers are you getting from Roku. Is the price of developing a app worth it?

ChaseShumway
02-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Dahalabit, I honestly don't know how many people are listening on the Roku. I don't pay for the advanced stats from Blubrry yet, so I don't get a specific breakdown. I don't think it's very many. The bulk of our listenership comes from our website and pod catchers. A little less than a fourth comes from "other," which if I'm interpreting the way Blubrry measures things correctly, probably includes sources like the Roku and Boxee.

As for the cost and value... I don't think it's worth it unless you have an enormous audience (10,000+) or can code your own channel. At that point you can probably offset the cost of having a Roku channel set up with ad revenue from your show. I've read conflicting info on what it costs to get a Roku channel made. I'd seen it can start as low as $3,000. But the Roku user base is still pretty small. It is growing though. A large chunk of Roku users have one primarily for Netflix and might not even be interested in trying other channels unless Netflix is down one night and they're just killing time. :-)

That's why we went with Blubrry. The work is done and it gives us one more place where we can be heard. We were already using them for stats... being included in their Roku channel was just an added bonus. I don't know how we ended up on TuneIn. I never submitted us to their service. But hey, I'll take it!

I've also read Roku requires a certain amount of channel users before they'll put you in their channel store. But that seems odd since you wouldn't get too many users unless you were in the store! Not sure how accurate this information is as I have seen some pretty crappy channels on Roku with little to no ratings.

erictimmer
02-09-2013, 01:16 PM
I guess we should follow the 90/10 rule in this situation of being the best places and forgetting the rest, as they don't produce enough viewership to make it worth the effort/money.

BTW you could probably hire a developer on Odesk to code up an app for probably $500-$1000 give or take.