PDA

View Full Version : Groundloop issue. Looking for a fix

Podnutter
01-06-2013, 03:42 PM
I am having a really bad groundloop hum. I tried a groundloop isolator but the hum is still htere. Is there anything else that i could try?

mcphillips
01-06-2013, 04:02 PM
A ground loop is caused by connecting two grounds that are at different potentials. If you connect a computer to a mixer, typically you connect input and output cables. Both sets of cables must have ground loop isolators, if the computer is the problem. Putting an isolator on just one cable does not solve the problem. The ground loop still exists with the other cable.

Before you install a ground loop isolator, you have to determine the cause of the ground loop. If all else fails, disconnect every cable from your mixer. Then, reconnect them one at a time until the hum appears. The cable that causes is the hum is usually the one causing the ground loop.

andrewzarian
01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Ground loop isolators are great but Try plugging everything into the same outlet. that fixed the problem we were having here at GFQ

AndrewSeabrook
01-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Isolate your lighting equipment from the sound equipment by using a different circuit on your houseshold power. Lighting gear, particularly with dimmers, are notorious for introducing hum. Ask any roadie! Most houses have four circuits, at least here in Australia. One for the Stove which is high amp, one for househod lighting and then two that supply your Power points. If you can isolate which circuit supplys the power to your "studio" you can then run leads from the other one to deal with lights. Also try and ensure that other "noisy" devices such as fridges, fans, kettles(jugs), Toasters etc are off that circuit.

Also, in regard to Andrews suggestion above, remember that a 10 amp circuit will only support a total of 2500 watts and that you really shouldn't load it continuously above 2000. So make certain that you are not overloading it.