PDA

View Full Version : What Mixer should I get

jamesdelfresco
03-31-2012, 03:23 PM
I would like to first thank everyone on this message board. It has been a huge help.

What type of mixer should I get for my podcast. I am willing to spend 200 dollars.

RadarGaming
03-31-2012, 06:55 PM
The Behringer XENYX 1204FX is a very good mixer. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UB1002FX.aspx

JakeKettle
04-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I use an Alesis mixer, it's not bad but I'm in the market to get a new one, a bigger one, so I'd be interested in hearing everyone's recommendations.

RadarGaming
04-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I use an Alesis mixer, it's not bad but I'm in the market to get a new one, a bigger one, so I'd be interested in hearing everyone's recommendations.
I use the Behrinher XENYX 502 it has 1 XLR but its great for me. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/502.aspx

mcphillips
04-01-2012, 06:19 PM
What type of mixer should I get for my podcast. I am willing to spend 200 dollars.

Tell us more about your needs. Do you need a mix-minus feed? Two feeds?

Regarding the recommendation for Behringer 1204FX, be aware that the X1204USB is a better mixer for podcasting because both aux sends are post-fader.

gfqnetwork
04-02-2012, 07:43 AM
I personally do not like USB Mixers. I have had nothing but a lot with them (even when not using USB as a source). Our main Studio Mixer is a Mackie 1402-VLZ3 (Great Mixer). We also use a Mackie Pro FX12 for remote shows. In my opinion The PRO FX12 is not as good as the 1402-VLZ3 but it can be used VIA USB.

Matt Casillas
05-02-2012, 09:06 PM
I currently use a Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX. I do not use the USB portion though, I use TRS cables (quarter inch) with a 3.55mm end (such as a headphone cable). Pretty good mixer with 4 XLR inputs and some fun effects to mess around with. Has phantom power built into, and gain controls for channels 1-4. Headphone port isn't to good so I use the main out as a headphone port. Monitor out, you can plug a pair of speakers into. Overall good mixer with all your EQ and AUX controls. $149 at Guitar Center http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-MultiMix-8-USB-FX-Regular-106070378-i1545212.gc

joedemax
05-24-2012, 08:41 AM
1204USB is an excellent board for anyone get started with podcasting.

erictimmer
05-24-2012, 07:25 PM
I have a Behringer Xenyx 802 and it does the job. The only problem I have is with line noise. The funny thing is it comes and goes. I have a feeling the power lines in my house are "dirty". Oh yeah my headphone jack only has sound coming out of one ear....LOL

I am thinking of getting something new but since I will be moving across the globe in the not-so-distant future, I should probably not get anything else.

MyTakeRadio
05-24-2012, 10:24 PM
I use the Alesis Multimix 8 USBFX which is pretty solid.

mcphillips
05-25-2012, 07:18 AM
While we're on the subject, I often hear broadcasters complain about noise in their mixers. In my experience, there are four primary reasons to have noise in an audio mixer:

Wiring Issue - It's really easy to interconnect various pieces of electronic equipment and get a ground loop. Using the wrong cables (unshielded or poorly shielded) can give very bad results.
Cable Issue - Quality cables are expensive. Cheap cables can cause problems although they are usable if you're careful. Connectors on mixers can be intermittent.
Interface Issue - If you don't properly match your levels into and out of your mixer, you can get signal-to-noise issues and overdrive issues. Level matching is a critical step.
Mixer Issue - Mixers can be defective from the manufacturer or fail. The best way to diagnose a mixer problem is to disconnect everything except headphones and listen for noise.

Even the most inexpensive mixers available today have extremely low noise floors. The maturity of audio design is such that even low end audio equipment performs amazingly well. While it is possible to get a defective piece of equipment (ask Andrew Zarian about his dbx286s), it's unusual.

In conclusion, if you're having noise issues with your mixer, get busy doing some troubleshooting. It can almost always be fixed.

andrewzarian
05-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Mike is correct. There are many factors that come into play when we are trying to create "Good Audio". I have noticed many internet broadcasters are plagued with ground loop issues (Buzzing audio). Most of the time this is happening because of a USB Mixer