PDA

View Full Version : Podcast Mix Minus (Skype)

trhodes96
12-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Hi guys,

I am new to this board. Thanks for having me. I'm having issues with my "mix minus" setup. I'm running through a standard mixer with aux send. Aux inputs are up on all channels except skype caller input. Everything works ok. Skype person can hear me, can hear any audio I play etc without delay. The problem is when we both talk simultaneously I'm cancelled out on his end. He can't hear me when he talks. Obviously a problem cause we end up stepping on each other. Now if I wait till he's finished to speak, he hears me just fine. Is there ANYWAY to resolve this?

Thank you guys in advance! I'm sure I'll have many more questions!

Tim

TomSinclair
12-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Blame Skype.

trhodes96
12-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Ok... Are there other ways to do what Skype does? Unfortunately my podcast depends on using multiple callers. Thanks though.

andrewzarian
12-26-2012, 12:55 PM
hi tim,

Something to look into is the level you are sending VIA Aux send . I had the same issue happened. thanks to the help of Mike Phillips I realized my level was to high for the Aux send. Try lowering it and see how it works out.

erictimmer
12-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Isn't there some XML file you have to update to stop this from happening? I think somewhere on the TWIT page there is a page that describes what guests need to do. I will try to dig it up, brb.

mcphillips
12-30-2012, 08:05 AM
If you find it, let us know. Skype is not full duplex. It is an excellent simplex tool, though. Someone has suggested that not every sound card on every computer is true duplex. I'm not sure about that yet.

xmusiconline
01-06-2013, 11:56 AM
If you find it, let us know. Skype is not full duplex. It is an excellent simplex tool, though. Someone has suggested that not every sound card on every computer is true duplex. I'm not sure about that yet.

Not every sound card is true duplex.. most are able to handle it for the most part. Skype is the big issue as it has it's own cancellation built in to the Skype codec to avoid feedback on those who don't do proper mix minus setups with it [a vast majority of the Skype users naturally since it wasn't really designed for what us broadcasters are doing with it].