PDA

View Full Version : Multicasting via 3G & 4G

Mettavihari
12-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Hello

We have in Sri Lanka several Internet providers
They sell a dongle and you have Internet with this dongle.
They use mostly 3G and are now talking of 4G bandwidth

If I am an Internet Provider,
can I then do Multicasting of a streaming Television Channel using this Technology ?

I am told that multi-casting is not possible using 3G and 4G dongles.
Is that correct information ?

Regards
Mettavihari

mcphillips
12-22-2012, 05:24 AM
There is a general rule of thumb to never use wireless Internet of ANY sort for audio or video broadcasting. Sometimes it works, but many times it does not. For incidental use, it may be all you have. For daily use, nothing beats wired connections.

Other than that general warning, I don't know the answer to your question.

William Thomas
01-03-2013, 04:43 PM
I use 4g to stream with all the time now...I have a vzw wifi and usually get between 3-5 mb/s upload...which is great....i use three cameras and vidblaster. I am very lucky I guess and in about 50 attempts now i have had no problems...

There is a general rule of thumb to never use wireless Internet of ANY sort for audio or video broadcasting. Sometimes it works, but many times it does not. For incidental use, it may be all you have. For daily use, nothing beats wired connections.

Other than that general warning, I don't know the answer to your question.

andrewzarian
01-06-2013, 08:36 AM
I stay far far away from Wifi and 4g when it comes to broadcasting.

Linuxcooldude
01-07-2013, 07:15 AM
I've seen people try to use it a few times and was spotty at best. As others have mentioned wired is going to be better. But there is some success in using something like a LiveU setup which is quite expensive. It uses several 3G, 4G? wireless cards for transmission. Several new products on the market like the Teradek cube. But those still mostly connect to a wireless router nearby with some 3G connections that look promising.