PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice On Getting Started Quickly!

radiobob
12-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi, I'd like to solicit some free advice. I have several years of broadcasting experience in radio as a host/producer/news announcer but I've never done a podcast. I've just had an opportunity drop in my lap to do an outdoors show on a new internet station that launches in two weeks. I think I'm going to try BlogTalkRadio.com to get started as all I have at the moment is a cheap microphone from WalMart ( which actually doesn't sound too bad), an old computer and Audacity. I'm really under the gun to get started quick so any tips, tricks and advice I could get would be more than appreciated. Thanks!

Bob

andrewzarian
12-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Hello Bob,

What type of budget are you working with? If you give me a price range I can narrow things down for you

radiobob
12-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the reply Andrew. Budget, what's that? Seriously though, I really don't have any till after the holiday and even then it won't be much. That's a big part of the problem. I should have mentioned that I intend to do mostly guest interviews. The show runs 54 minutes. I don't even have long distance on my land line, I've been using Google voice which is free in the U.S. and works well for me since I don't make too many long distance calls. However I will have to to do this show. I'm a little shaky about Voice, there's a nanosecond of a delay that can sometimes be confusing, and sometimes the quality goes in and out. However, I can't rectify the situation till after the show will launch so I guess I'll have to do the best with it, unless someone has any better ideas. But to answer your question, low budget for now.

TomSinclair
12-17-2012, 03:36 PM
What ever you do; test, test and test again.

andrewzarian
12-17-2012, 03:50 PM
As far as a mic goes I would go with the AT2005 USB/XLR mic. Great sounding dynamic microphone and its only 40 bucks. We use Skype for all guests and it sounds amazing. Much better then a standard phone line. Might be good to try that out also.

Here is a link to the AT2005USB (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JX8O0Y/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=thgufrquponet-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B007JX8O0Y&adid=0F9XP80MJYG64EAAFKEH&) on amazon for 39.99

radiobob
12-17-2012, 05:18 PM
That's a nice looking mic and definitely within my budget after Christmas, I might just go for that, got some pretty good ratings, sure beats what I've got now. I've got a Skype account but I've never used it, I'll check 'em out again. Tom, do you mean test as far as different equipment, or sound? Thanks for the replies, keep them coming, God knows I could use the guidance.

Bob

TomSinclair
12-17-2012, 10:22 PM
What ever your hardware/software setup will be... test it, test it again, and test it again. Do some "alpha" podcasts for your-ears-only. Then share some "beta" podcast with some friends that will tell you the truth (good friends will lie to you so as not to hurt your feelings when you really stink).

Make sure you know how all your stuff works, so when it stops works or goes wonky, you'll know what it is.

radiobob
12-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks Tom, I figured that's what you meant, but I need clarification, I'm a little slow:) I will follow that advice, I have done a little bit of testing. I voiced a spot for a contest that Voices.com was running and though I would have liked it to sound better it wasn't that bad either.

RRE
12-25-2012, 10:44 AM
If you're going solo then any cheap usb mic will do to get started with an at2020 or similar would be fine for something going onto blogtalk or talkshoe, though i'd recommend a usb mixer and xlr mic(at2020 can be had new for about $60 at bhphoto) get a small behringer mixer and an xlr mic, so you can upgrade more easily down the road.

radiobob
12-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Thanks RRE, I'll check it out, never heard of Talkshoe, lot to learn about this stuff huh? I will eventually have that kind of setup, great advice everyone.

Bob

andrewzarian
12-26-2012, 12:53 PM
the AT2005 is by fare the best USB mic I have heard and its only 40 bucks on amazon. Def worth looking into

RRE
12-27-2012, 05:04 AM
No problem radiobob and remember with audio like with most things you'll hit a point of dimishing returns once you get a more broadcast style mic like a shure sm7, ev re20, or even a neumann tlm-102 and a decent preamp like a dbx 286s(i highly reccomend this one for broadcasters) then you'll be on par with any radio station or xm radio station. You'll be 90% there, it's up to you if you want that extra 10% which is going to cost a lot money. For podcasts I don't reccomend it, look to spend about $1,000-$2,000 max on a pro rig(in time of course) and you'll be able to put most radio stations to shame, obviously this cost will go up with more hosts, but make them buy their own stuff ;)

RichardCleveland
12-27-2012, 12:13 PM
I have to agree with Andrew the AT2005USB is the right mic for beginners and seasoned podcasters on a budget. It is a mic that will grow with you as opposed to investing in a $300 mic that you grow into. Like you RadioRob I come from the radio broadcasting world and I too found it a challenge getting started. And as Tom said practice, practice, practice. I built my rig over time and am happy with my current audio for podcasting. I use 3 AT2005USB mics in the studio connected to a Behringer Xenyx X1622USB mixer. I have a DBX 166Xl for processing and that seems to work.