PDA

View Full Version : Hosting for Video Podcast

andrewzarian
11-25-2012, 03:11 PM
We are starting to look for a new place to host our Video podcast. I was wondering if you guys can recommend a company?

We are currently with Blip.tv and have discovered a limitation of its service. Podcasting apps can not retrieve video from blip. only Zune and Itunes work.

podcastcoach
11-27-2012, 08:24 AM
For me hosting is hosting, audio or video. Go with Libsyn.com or blubrry.com

Blacky B HMN Radio
12-27-2012, 07:58 PM
I do everything thru ustream

erictimmer
12-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Amazon S3 or other CDN. Not free but no ads and you control them.

mkresic
01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Is it possible to upload them to YouTube and then create an RSS from there that you could feed to iTunes or Feedburner? I'm going to guess the answer is 'no' but it seems a shame that you would have to host the same video file to a separate hosting account if its already up on your YouTube page.

BTW- I have the same question that Andrew started this thread with since I am looking to add video to my existing audio podcasts. I'll stream with Wirecast but want to publish a video podcast for on-demand subscribers.

andrewzarian
01-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Hi Mkresic,

As far as I know Youtube wont generate a RSS. I am still looking for another option

erictimmer
01-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Mkresic,

Yeah, YouTube won't give you an RSS feed and they wont let you make the video downloadable, which are the 2 main things you need to make the show a podcast. YouTube makes their money by showing advertisements on your video and on their site, so it doesn't make sense for them to be hosting for your podcast files. It would be awesome if they did and ran the ads since you can do revenue share.

Paid:
Amazon Web Services:
http://aws.amazon.com/digital-media/
or their S3 storage

Libsyn:
www.libsyn.com

Free:
Archive.org (A good place for a hobbist, but I wouldn't run a business on it)

Justin.tv for streaming
Ustream.tv for streaming
Stickam.tv for streaming

BradShoemaker
01-18-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm with Eric... I am thinking about adding our videos to Amazon S3 as well. We currently host all of our audio there, but the video I just post to YouTube.

It is one of the things I am looking at how to maximize as I build out our new sites. Currently YouTube gets our videos, but the lack of RSS and pushing it to iTunes is what is making me change my mind about just using YT.

mkresic
01-18-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm a hobbyist, so definitely trying to keep costs low. The thing that worries me about Amazon S3 is the unpredictability of the pricing since there is a cost based on the storage and another component based on transfers.

I agree on Eric on the reasons YT wouldn't want you to use them. Additionally, I have a feeling the video format is not compatible with what iTunes, AppleTV, etc would want.

I've heard some mention blip.tv and was wondering what you guys thought about that service?

andrewzarian
01-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Whats the Pricing on Amazon?

mkresic
01-18-2013, 12:02 PM
http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#pricing

Podnutter
01-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Wow it can get expensive. How do the Big guys do video>? Its sooo much money

erictimmer
01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
9 Cents a gigabit GB is cheap!!