PDA

View Full Version : Live radio show over the Internet?

pcon0718
10-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Hey Everyone,

I am thinking about converting my Podcast into a live radio show. What companies would you recommend to host our stream (whether it be Icecast or Shoutcast). Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

- Philippe

ChaseShumway
10-16-2012, 05:08 PM
We use Shoutcast mainly because that's what works best with the station with which we broadcast. It's simple and does what its supposed to. We don't handle any of the server stuff though, so I can't speak to how user friendly setting that up will be. We're just a content provider. So we use Shoutcast in conjunction with a special webpage we have to log into ahead of time.

From what I've read it's a fairly simple process to set up a Shoutcast station and FREE.

pcon0718
10-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks Chase. Who do you use as your streaming service provider?

ChaseShumway
10-16-2012, 08:43 PM
The Internet radio station we air on (ErrorFM) handles all of that. I'm not sure what they're using outside of Shoutcast for streaming services. We use the plug-in for Winamp to send our signal to them.

andrewzarian
10-17-2012, 08:44 AM
If you are looking to stream Audio online I would recommend Streammonster . We have been using them for years.

mtomlins
11-20-2012, 11:54 AM
We've just started our show (www.perfbytes.com) on blogtalkradio.com (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/perfbytes). It's going pretty well - we have about 3000+ listens in just 3 weeks. I must admit - BTR has been a very easiest way to get started and get going with a show. Sure, I can see the concerns with audio quality if you are just on the phone line - but we've been using Skype with our Zoom H2N microphones directly connected and the quality is quite good. I also have a home studio with M-Audio interface and a Shure SM-57 (entry-level dynamic mic).

Another tip I just would give anyone is that it takes almost an entire extra set of hands to moderate live callers on the show - having a "silent producer" or "assistant" who can screen calls in the background and IM you real-time updates, it really helps. Also, it definitely takes some time to get used to live mixing/levels for a live show - you might even have a 3rd person who is mixing levels, so that background music or pre-recorded content is normalized and leveled. Having to stop your talking and broadcast just to change the levels is annoying/hard/amateur.

Even another tip about Skype streams on live programs...have a second machine with Skype and Microphone already running just in case you have to switch. With BTR you can have both sources dialed-in/Skype'd into the show with your 'emergency rig' in muted mode. If you have issues with your primary setup, you just seemlessly flip over to the other machine and keep going. If you're really paranoid, just have a 3rd source (your phone/landline) also dialed into the studio and on-mute. If Murphy's law holds true, you could use both the computers and still be able to continue the show on your phone while you reboot/restart a machine.

I also have accounts on Spreaker and Soundcloud - to share recordings and prepared content or excerpts.

andrewzarian
11-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Mark Quick question about Blogtalkradio. How are people discovering your content on there?

mtomlins
11-20-2012, 02:23 PM
The major connections from the BTR site:
Twitter - in addition to the built-in auto Tweeting, we schedule tweets with TweetDeck for the same time slot (8am) daily to promote the show.
iTunes - the BTR feeds iTunes (you have to set it up) then we grab the URL for our iTunes page and include that in tweets
Facebook - soon enough our Facebook Fan Page will be linked to BTR...with the same auto-posting
The BTR embedded badge for the show - on multiple websites (my blog, James' and our perfbytes.com site)

Beyond BTR:
PerfBytes.com - website...which is just growing from a basic Drupal install...once we get some more $$ we'll dress up the site
LinkedIn Fan Group - we are both big on forum moderation and contributions...on many industry forums
Independent references and re-tweets...we are both very connected with vendors and VARs in our industry
At conferences - we are doing live interviews and promoting the show
Oh yeah - we also have a tumblr page (perfbytes.tumblr.com)
Oh yeah - we just started setting up our PerfBytes stuff at Cafepress.com
Oh yeah - there's also a custom Disqus group setup for comment moderations

(whew)

mtomlins
11-21-2012, 01:24 PM
...I just learned one more tip from another friend:

If you have multiple hosts or guests calling in from remote locations...each person talking on the show should capture a local copy of high-quality audio to a file. This can be done with a portable recorder that has both a line-out (into the computer and Skype) and also the onboard SD Card recording. Alternatively, you could use a virtual audio channel routing software (like Virtual Audio Cable) to capture the same audio signal simultaneously out to Skype's Microphone channel and Audacity's input channel (or other local recording software).

After the show - even if Skype was getting all weird or the quality was bad - you take the high-quality audio files and combine all the audio together (Host A.wav, Host B.wav and "live callers" from the show feed) and combine them all together into a sequencer to mixdown to a high-quality version of the show.

In our case, we would just posthumously replace the live show audio with higher-quality edited version of the show at a later date.

It might be a little extra work...but could be well worth it.

mcphillips
11-21-2012, 09:39 PM
It's called a "double ender" and is a lot of work for a podcast. Skype works great, most of the time.

Jadori
11-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't like to stream my show due to the fact with connection issues. Also you have to have the right equipment to do it right. As for me since I am still building my audience I will stick to posting my podcasts.

Podnutter
11-25-2012, 04:30 PM
I am still in the early stages of "podcasting" I have been doing a few test shows until I get the hang on it.

NASNTrevor
11-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Shoutcast without a doubt and http://www.wavestreaming.com is the best service I've come across. Researched and tried a few others , including streammonster, none can shake a stick at the reliability and integration tools that wavestreaming has.

Jadori
11-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Plus, I feel that Shoutcast has a better reach in regards to gaining an audience. There are still a lot of people that use it.

ridetheradiowaves
12-04-2012, 12:50 PM
You can get free streaming/server all in one at www.Radionomy.com -- I'm about to open a station with them...will let you know how it goes. They advertise that you can "go live", have unlimited uploads and never pay a dime. (They pay for royalties, server space, streaming costs from ads.)

Here's a more involved document if you want to learn more.
http://board.radionomy.com/tools/en/documents/5_PART2_PLANNER_eng.pdf

ridetheradiowaves
01-15-2013, 01:26 PM
I opened a station...and it's incredible. I'm not paying a dime for an easy to manage radio station, playing whatever content I want -- copyrighted or not -- and available globally on mobile, social and embedded on webpages. What?? Why is no one else using this service? Am I missing something?