PDA

View Full Version : Livestream a wedding

William Thomas
09-18-2012, 08:50 AM
I am streaming my cousins wedding as a gift and have done weddings before but not streaming live. Just wanted to know if any of you have been asked to do this as i have a question.

The audio in catching the vows. My plan is to use a digital recorder with a lapel mic for the groom , and that mic will catch the three of them (minister, bride and groom) in conjunction I will have a boom mic on a tripod in an area that is close but not in the way. they are getting married under an arch so i plan on doing something there. Its in tampa florida so I will be able to see the venue just one day before. They have a web page so i can get some idea of where everything is. That way I will have two sources for audio.

As far as cameras go I will have two cameras behind the minister facing the bride and groom and one cam at the end of the isle where bride and groom exit.

I checked on VZW and they have 4g in the area in case they dont let me use their on site wifi. Not sure yet. I can use my vzw mifi and get up to 5 mb/s upload . I am checking into using DACAST for the first time as i have heard great things and that they are good to work with.

So My question is do you think my audio set up will work ok? If not, please give me some suggestions.

Thanks

Bill

BradShoemaker
09-18-2012, 09:15 AM
I have streamed on wedding and it happened just recently. I would call the venue ahead of time and get as many details as you can leading up to it.

In my situation the venue that was chosen by the couple has been wanting to offer live stream as a service anyway, so they had several things in place already. Granted they did it cheaply, so only one camera was in the area and it was mounted on a wall, but it worked.

They also have a mic that hung from the chandelier above and that provided adequate audio. Not great, but enough to make it work.

As for your lav picking up the groom, bride, and minister... you might have to rethink. Most lapel mics are made to pic up the person speaking and cut off the noise around them. So he will come through strong and the others will not. A Boom might have more effectiveness, just be cautious of the wind.

Also do some tests on your 4g out there BEFORE the wedding. Find out if it is enough to stream. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Probably won't be great quality stream, but it will be at least something.

I will have the video of the wedding posted, hopefully today. Again, not great, but given that's what the venue allowed and my friends were happy with it, it is what it is.

BradShoemaker
09-18-2012, 11:19 AM
This is the rough edit. I haven't cleaned up the audio or added any graphics packages, etc... just thought I would share it. Several things I would've done differently if allowed, hence it is important to speak with the venue early so you can get a true feel for the event. You have one shot to capture it and one shot alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJdoz3TzlMg